What's new

which is the better DVD player - this Panasonic or Onkyo? (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
Panasonic DVD-F85
5-disc carousel DVD/CD/DVD-Audio changer with progressive scan

or

Onkyo DV-CP701
6-disc carousel DVD/CD changer with progressive scan

if you have other good suggestions for a DVD/CD changer, please feel free to offer your advice

i'll be listening to more music than watching movies...so i want to make sure it works as a really good CD player

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Does the Panny have the " FAROUDJA " chip?
Try and get a changer with that in it.I just ordered the new Denon -1815 5 disk changer that comes out 8/20/03.
The Kenwood DV-6050 has the Faroudja chip in it. Crutchfiled has it for $299.00. That is if a excellent picture is inportain to you.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Does the Panny have the " FAROUDJA " chip?
Try and get a changer with that in it.I just ordered the new Denon -1815 5 disk changer that comes out 8/20/03.
The Kenwood DV-6050 has the Faroudja chip in it. Crutchfiled has it for $299.00. That is if a excellent picture is inportain to you.

If its the same onkyo dvd player i think it is then it functions more like a cd player than the panasonic does in the sense of shuffeling and repeating throughout the entire carousel> though if you want to go with the panasonic it allows you to certainly listen to higher resolution audio< ie dvd audio given you use the multichannel inputs and your receiver can handle it>

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
John - could you clarify your post a bit more, especially the part about the Onkyo acting more as a CD player as far as tray rotation. i've been searching for a CD/DVD changer for a while that plays all of the formats that this one does, but the problem is that all of the ones i've tried out took several seconds to rotate the tray around, and then from the time i pushed play to the time music started took about 15-20 seconds or so. plus, you couldn't just rotate the tray, select the disc, and automatically start skipping to the track you want...you had to wait for the damn thing to close, locate the disc, read the cd, and then start playing

how is the Onkyo reaction time?

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
What is nice about the onkyo player is that it is a full digital path player. I'm not an expert so i can't go into depth on how it works but i know that is supposed to make audio clarity better. The one feature the panasonic has is DVD-audio, which is nice if you are looking for high resolution audio. FYI, in another thread I read a couple weeks ago the panasonic f85 was mentioned and many people complained about some sort of video "bug". Some sort of problem with the video processing chip because everyone kept telling this guy to find last year's model instead of the f85 because it was much better. But again I couldn't tell you what exactly it was or if it's true. Either player i'm sure would be fine. If you are not interested in dvd-audio, i would say do the onkyo, but if dvd-audio interests you, that's a nice added bonus feature the panasonic has and the onkyo lacks. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks