What's new

which is the best (1 Viewer)

Dong Rodriguez

Auditioning
Hi!
Which of these four models you think is best partner for NAD T753.

PSB Image 2b
Paradigm Mini monitor
B&w DM601s3
Monitor Audio b2

I know its best to audition all of them but its impossible for me to do that. So I have to make my choice based on your recommendations.
Thanks

Max F

Second Unit
It's kindof like picking a wife out for you or something. Not something anyone would want to do without knowing you first.

You should at least tell up what kind of sound you prefer. What speakers have you listened to and really liked. It really is that subjective.

mackie

Supporting Actor
If my memory serves me correctly - the paradigm and PSB are a brighter speaker with the monitor somewhat more laid back. The B&W was somewhere in between. All are good speakers.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
All mentioned are good speakers but have your thought about the idea of trying out some internet brands to same some money. Like Rocket by Onnix, Axiom, Ascend come to mind.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You have to go audition. That's all there is to it.

I could tell that that I listened to all these brands and I picked the mini-monitors, but that wouldn't tell you anything except my tastes. You need to go auditioning.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get much out of "going" to audition. I have to audition in my home. My rooms and my equipment are so different from what the stores have that I can't make an informed decision outside of my home. That's one of many reasons the internet direct brands appeal to me more than the B & M brands.

David

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
David: I agree, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, but the original poster needs to hear these speakers in some manner to judge which he likes. Ideally that would be in a proper listening room, all of them during one audition, and in a perfect world, his own system and room would be the 'proper auditioning room.' Often that's not feasible, but in any case, my point was that fundamentally, he needs to hear all these speakers and choose based on his own tastes.

Dong Rodriguez

Auditioning
As ive said, i cant audition to them. My brother, a none-music fan, will be buying this for me and he said those are the only brands available in his place. And hes only setting aside $400 for a pair of speakers. I like punchy, detailed and crisp sound but not boomy, not bright and not sibilant. I plan of buying subwoofer early next year, so that bass extension below, say 60hz, may be out of discussion. Next to subwoofer, I may be getting a pair of higher step bookshelf for front (i like bookshelves) and a center, and perhaps moving this pair you are recommending, or about to recommend, to the rear. My room is about 14' X 20' X 8' with concrete floors and wooden walls and ceilings. I will be using this for 50movie/50music.
Hope this would help you in deciding which of the four brands is best for me.
Thank you very much.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
What exactly is preventing you from auditioning them? B&W and Paradigm are MAJOR companies with mucho dealers...PSB and Monitor Audio are smaller scale, but it shouldn't be hard to find a local dealer...

mackie

Supporting Actor
With what you describe as your listening preferences, I'd go with PSB or Paradigm. I really don't think you'd make a mistake going with any of them.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Drew..

I use DVDProfiler and it still does not work when you have teenagers. They grab and run then when I want to watch a movie I go to the huge cabinet I had built and its gone..... No matter how may times I have talked to them.. May have to ground them as I had having to reorder those things in their little drawers all the time... Pain in the butt. Maybe I'll just give up too as the pile on top of the tv seems to ge growing faster than I can keep up with filing.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Me, I just trade/buy/sell too much to be able to keep track. I'm good with keeping them organized and on the shelf...my CDs on the other hand...

Hmmm...I'd reccomend the B&W for the type of sound you prefer. The mini monitors are great, but they may sound a tad too bright for you. I tend to think the B&W 601 sounds more 'in the box' but that is because I'm mainly a music person and like a fairly bright speaker. The B&W has very accurate high's and good midbass qualities.

Dong Rodriguez

Auditioning
Okey guys. If the budget is increased to $600, would you recommend other models from the same brands? And, could you describe to me the kind of sound your choices can give when paired with T753? It would help me a lot since i will be acquiring this without prior listening.
Thanks again.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Check out the Axiom line. I've never heard them personally, but they have a large fan club on this forum. It's defiantly worth looking into. For $600 you can get a set of book shelves and a center or a pair of floor standers. You mentioned wanting to eventually have a surround sound system, why not go ahead and start now? I think the speakers for my second system I'm planning will be rockets. Never heard them, but I'm willing to take a chance.

You're usually pretty safe with Paradigm.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I'm of the opinion that the room will have more to do with how the speakers sound than the front end. NAD has a very good reputation and should work with any good quality speaker. There are those who believe that mating the front end and the speakers is critical. I don't think that's true unless you're spending lots more money. Everything is true if you spend enough. :D
These are my speakers in this price range. This is a link to my two part review.

http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=698

http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=701

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks