Which is more recommended for surrounds, bookshelf or actual surrounds?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisDumont, Aug 28, 2003.

1. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

Well, I was opting for a 7.1 setup but that would be quite expensive. So what I'm thinking of doing is getting a 5.1 setup now, and maybe upgrade to 7.1 later down the road. Originally this was my setup:

2 Connoisseur C-9
    2 C-1 bookshelf
    C-C3 centre speaker
    2 CR3 surround speakers
    sub

But now that I want to go for a 5.1 setup, should I use the bookshelf speakers for surrounds? or get the surrounds for the surrounds? Which has better sound quality? The only problem with me getting bookshelf is that they wont be right near my ears, they would be about 3 feet away or so. but if the sound quality is alot better then is it worth it?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well surrounds are usually designed a different way then the bookshelves to give more of an angle for the them. I would probably go with the actual surround channels. They are just as good as the bookshelves but are designed to do something a little different, usually spread the channel out over more of an area.

3. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

I run bookshelfs for my rears and I find they are miles above any small surround i've heard..I guess alot of it is personal preference..

4. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

It depends on your situation. Direct radiating speakers are best regardless of whether it is a dedicated surround or a bookshelf speaker.

While I think in some situations having dipole or bipolar surround speakers (which are what most surround speakers these days seem to be) work, they intentionally diffuse the sound, smearing the details so as to produce an artificial ambiance. Some people like this effect, but that is exactly what it is -- an effect -- and not what the engineers who mastered the soundtrack or multichannel recording intended. After all if they wanted a more diffuse sound, they could have engineered that into the surround channels... they don't need speakers to artifically create that!

If your choice is between a monopole, direct-radiating surround and a bookshelf, decision is a little more difficult. Some surrounds are designed specifically for being placed on or in close proximity to a wall. If this is your placement of choice, then the dedicated surround may work better than the bookshelf. However, if you are going to place them on stands away from the walls, then typically the bookshelf will perform better.

Victor

5. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

well I just looked it up, and the surrounds (the CR3's) are "Switchable Bipole/Dipole", so that would produce that effect you're talking about? I would like clear crisp sound, and I can either put the surrounds near my ears, or have the bookshelfs stand 3-4 feet in front from where I'm listening. Or is it possible to get ceiling mounts for bookshelf speakers?

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Yes. You can do anything you would like with the bookshelf speakers. Wall mounts, put them just on a table. Whatever you feel comfortable with, the same with actual surrounds. They usually come with brackets for walls built in though.

7. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I also believe it is a personal preference. I have used both types and I like direct radiating the best.

8. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

is direct radiating the bookshelf speakers? or the surrounds?

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer