Which is more important in 7.1? Rear centers or side surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

If you have to cut corners would you put your money on better side surrounds or better rear centers or if you are going to cut corners you're better off leaving the not as good rear centers out?

2. Howard_S

anyone?

3. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

Id put my money in better side surrounds.I have said it before and i will say it again,i think surround ex offers minimal improvement over a properly setup 5.1 system.

Do you have a spare speaker set sitting around? give them a try in the surround back location until you get the cash for something you like.

If they sound like crap,turn off the option or disconnect them,then you haven't lost anything.Experiment.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

5. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

I have an additional question related to this post. I've heard many different answers to this same question and would like to know for sure about 6.1 and 7.1 surround. Does DTS ES 6.1 consist of 6 discrete encoded channels and LFE while all other DVDs not encoded with this extended surround are matrixed into 6.1 and 7.1 channels? Therefore, is the Gladiator DVD the only one with true 6.1 channel surround sound? If all other DVDs are simply matrixed I don't forsee too significant an improvement over a good 5.1 channel setup. Just curious.

6. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

HOward:

It may depend on the surround process you are using to decode the soundtrack..... the DTS ES, Dolby Digital EX or Logic 7 may choose to steer certain/more information to the sides vs the rears...I don't know the answer to that questions, but it was a thought...

I can answer in terms of my experience with LOgic 7 and using a Smart Jr Decoder. The sides receive more information than the rears. The rears IME are for ambient sounds, to create a full rear soundstage and the specific rear effect or panning effect. IMO, when properly calibrated (espically with Logic 7) they can greatly enhance the surround experience.

7. Howard_S

I was looking at the spec sheets on the 49tx and what they do is raise the db on the RS during movies and decrease the db on the RC. For music they decrease db on the RS and increase the db on the RC which leads me to think that for movies the sides are more important but for music the rear centers may have at least have an importance that you cannot neglect.

8. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Although I love 7.1 and would not want to do without it; of course the side surrounds are most important. This is especially true with the onset of 5.1 channel audio such as DVD-A and SACD.

10. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Patrick:

I disagree. Logic 7 is 7 discreet channels of stereo

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Ron,