Which is better....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LarryDavenport, Aug 16, 2001.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I am buying a new amp/reciever to go with my new TV and DVD player and want to know which video input I should use: component, S-Video, or optical. Also how neccesary is an audio coaxial cable. Is the $40 for a cable worth it?
    ------------------
    These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

You have 1300 posts and don't know the answer to that question? [​IMG]
    Component video is typically better than S video and S video is better than RCA video. Most find S video to be fine. Optical isn't used for video but rather for audio.
    It isn't necesary to spend $40 on an audio cable. A good video cable will do the job or you can use a fiber optic cable. Both coax and fiber optic will allow you to listen to DD/Dts.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Brian - be nice [​IMG] Not everyone hangs around the Hardware forum.
    Larry - The best VIDEO connection is a Component (3-rca cables) cable set.
    I would suggest running straight from the DVD player to the TV.
    But also, run composite video (Single video cable) from the DVD player to your receiver.
    Run composite from ALL of your devices to the receiver, and then run a composite cable from the receiver to the TV.
    This way, you can set the TV to see the video from the receiver and use the receiver remote to do all the switching. This makes the system easy to use, and you see the receiver On-Screen-Display which is nice.
    But when you fire up a DVD, grab the TV remote and take the extra step to switch over to the Component video inputs for the better picture.
    AUDIO:
    Buy an extra composite video cable and use this for the coaxial-digital connection between your DVD player and the receiver.
    Make sure it is a VIDEO cable, not a AUDIO cable (Yellow bands on the RCA connectors). Video cables are all made with 75 ohm coax which is what the specification calls for with the coaxial-digital connection.
    Audio cables can be made with 50/75/110/300 ohm coax so you take a gamble if you use it.
    Hope this helps.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With an open ended topic like that, I'm surprised this post wasn't deleted...

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Thanks for the info. For the past several years I have been spending my money on software instead of hardware (except for my DVD player 2 years ago).
    Last night I had to buy a new TV because my housmate moved out taking the set with her. As much as I would have liked to buy a widescreen HDTV plasma screen, I wound up spending $700 on a Panasonic CT27SX11 Tau Flat Screen TV. It has a pretty nice picture.
    I'm running the TV, my Toshiba 1309 DVD player, N64, 1 year old Mitsubishi VCR, and 10 year old Pioneer Laser disc player through my 25 year old Pioneer stereo system.
    After I pay for my Mariners World Series tickets next month [​IMG] I plan on upgrading the rest of my home theater. I'm looking at a Yamaha HTR 5460 Reciever for about $500, and then I don't know if I should just buy a center channel speaker and subwoofer to go with my four Infinity Speakers that I have had forever (but they still sound great) or if I should try to find a complete surround system in the $500 range (which I think would mean Sony or Polk according to the Crutchfield catalog). After that maybe I'll think about DVD-A or SACD (and the Nintendo Game Cube).
    ------------------
    These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo