Which is better: Yamaha DSP-492 or Technics SA-DX950?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveSpoon, Feb 22, 2002.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

As I soldier on with completing my basement in an effort to get my home theatre system set up down there, was curious which way you would go: Use the Yamaha DSP-492 or the Technics SA-DX950???

Little more background info: I love all my Yamaha stuff, which includes the T-85 tuner, M-80 amp, C-80 preamp, PX-3 turntable, DSP-E492 switchbox (or whatever you call it!!), GE-60 equalizer.........to me, it's great stuff. System also includes a Panasonic DVD-RV65 and a Nakamichi RX-505 tape deck (I love vintage stuff, obviously!!). All I need (for right now, anyway!!), is a subwoofer to round out the system.

Here's the deal: I love all the components, but the wife likes the simplicity of having the all in one Technics receiver. And here's my question: Will I notice (please, your honest answer!!) that much difference sound quality wise between running the Technics vs. all the other stuff? The Technics doesn't have near the "guts" of my Yamaha M-80 amp, but it does make the system very easy to run. I know what I "want" to do, but would like to know what sound difference you think there is between the two.

Thanks a lot.

Steve

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The technics is not gonna be anywhere near the Yamaha in dynamics..... I am sure your wife can tell the difference so let a demo convince her to be retrained.... [​IMG]

3. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

You could use this as an excuse to get a Pronto. [​IMG] The Pronto's macros capabilities will make your system very easy to use - however, you will to have to put in some work to get the menus just right. I would suggest you head over to www.remotecentral.com and check out the reviews and discussions on the Pronto.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

If you want to go Technics, go with the SA-DX1050. It sounds much nicer than the 950. It might be hard to find though.