Which is better Video Essentials or THX Optimode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Lane, Jul 7, 2002.

1. William Lane

William Lane Extra

I've had Video Essentials for a while now but I'm seeing more and more of THX Optimode on DVD. I've always thought the guys at THX know what they're doing so why shouldn't I use Optimode to calibrate my system instead of VE?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Optimode is a joke. Most of the patterns are not accurate enough for calibration (I believe THX has even said that their audio tests are intended as a guide, not an actual calibration tone).

I have several Optimode discs where the rear channels are off by 3db- and don't get me started on their video tests.

Video Essentials is 100 times the calibration program Optimode is.

-V

3. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

yeah, I am a newbie and since I don't have a good calibration disc I just use the optimode it is much better than the tvs default. But it is not the final say on video.

4. William Lane

William Lane Extra

I wonder why THX would even put the effort into Optimode if it's just a guide. Oh well, I am very satisfied with the results I receive after calibrating my system with VE. I actually enjoy the DVD's I watch much more knowing my system is operating at it's max potential. Having recently purchased a JVC 48" 16:9 HDTV and a JVC progressive scan DVD player it's that much more important to make sure everything is set up right. Of course, I am using the generic component video cables that came with DVD player but I have a set of Belden/Canare's on the way. Thanks to this forum for helping me realize the importance of cable quality, especially for progressive scan. To any newbie who reads this, get calibrated!