1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which is better Video Essentials or THX Optimode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Lane, Jul 7, 2002.

1. William Lane

William Lane Extra

I've had Video Essentials for a while now but I'm seeing more and more of THX Optimode on DVD. I've always thought the guys at THX know what they're doing so why shouldn't I use Optimode to calibrate my system instead of VE?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Optimode is a joke. Most of the patterns are not accurate enough for calibration (I believe THX has even said that their audio tests are intended as a guide, not an actual calibration tone).

I have several Optimode discs where the rear channels are off by 3db- and don't get me started on their video tests.

Video Essentials is 100 times the calibration program Optimode is.

-V

3. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

yeah, I am a newbie and since I don't have a good calibration disc I just use the optimode it is much better than the tvs default. But it is not the final say on video.

4. William Lane

William Lane Extra

I wonder why THX would even put the effort into Optimode if it's just a guide. Oh well, I am very satisfied with the results I receive after calibrating my system with VE. I actually enjoy the DVD's I watch much more knowing my system is operating at it's max potential. Having recently purchased a JVC 48" 16:9 HDTV and a JVC progressive scan DVD player it's that much more important to make sure everything is set up right. Of course, I am using the generic component video cables that came with DVD player but I have a set of Belden/Canare's on the way. Thanks to this forum for helping me realize the importance of cable quality, especially for progressive scan. To any newbie who reads this, get calibrated!