What's new

Which is better: PC Relocator or XP's file transfer? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
As some may know I may be getting a new PC soon, but wanted to know if it's worth the $60+ to get the USB/firewire version of PC Relocator or would XP's built in transfer system work ok transferring files and programs from a W2K machine to the XP machine?

Thanks for your advice.

Alfer

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would just save the money and use XP's file transfer program. Is it the greatest program ever? Nope. But unless you have a specific reason I'd go with free. Do you have a router? If so, just network the computers together and transfer data at 100Mbps. If you don't have a router, go to RadioShack (or Ebay) and get an ethernet cross-over cable and just hook it up between the computers and use that to transfer the data. I prefer this method to making a cd and transfering, just because I usually have enough data to fill up several cd's.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member

XPs transfer settings app will move from one XP box to another, but I don't think it can go from an older operating system to XP.

You can't just 'transfer' apps from one OS to another, they need to be installed.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Rob's correct. You can't transfer the programs (to my knowledge), but you can certainly transfer all of your files.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Thanks guys...I found PC Relocator on Ebay pretty cheap, so I'm going that route when the times come. I've got too many little programs so if I can save time AND get all the programs and files at once, I'll go the software route.

Alfer

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
With the "Ultra" version you can transfer applications:

Before Alohabob PC Relocator came along, transferring your programs, files and preferences from one PC to another was an extremely time-consuming and difficult task. Now, Alohabob PC Relocator Ultra Control simplifies this task by transferring your existing software environment to your new computer - minus all the old clutter! Right from the beginning you'll feel at home on your new PC.

It's Flexible!
Selective Migration

Alohabob PC Relocator Ultra Control offers the ability to select specific items to transfer - including applications! You can also choose where to move those items to on your new computer. Alohabob PC Relocator Ultra Control painlessly migrates:

Applications
Data Files
Desktop and Internet Setting
Email (including encryption)
Bookmarks and Favorites
Internet Connections
User Profiles
Digital Signatures
And Everything Else

Not sure it's safe to move something? We help you out with that too! The Alohabob wizard interface includes a rating, which warns against the migration of any application that could cause potential conflicts with the newer operating system. Check out our demo and see for yourself!

Intermediate Storage

Alohabob PC Relocator Ultra Control allows you to perform the migration in two stages with the use of removable storage, such as CD-R/RW or Zip drives. It's as simple as telling the program which drive you would like to move your information to and when you are ready, telling the computer where the information is stored for download.

Connections

Alohabob PC Relocator Ultra Control allows you to select any one of these three connection methods: a TCP/IP network connection, a USB bridge cable, or a PC-to-PC parallel transfer cable. Not sure if you have the right kind of cable? Check out the connections section for more detailed information.

It's Safe!

Alohabob PC Relocator Ultra Control leaves your old PC completely unchanged after the relocation and also includes a simple undo function. Should you not be satisfied with your new PC after the relocation, you can restore it to the original state in one simple step.

It's Quick!

Alohabob PC Relocator Ultra Control migrates applications, files and settings between two computers in just a fraction of the time it would take to manually perform the process. Gone are the days of manually reinstalling applications, transferring all data files and reconfiguring your preferences. Once you tell Alohabob PC Relocator what to do you can leave and let it do its thing. Once it is finished, your new PC will look and feel just like your favorite old computer - but better!

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Personally, I'd go with a clean install of the OS and then add on the programs you need from clean install disks.

Lots of old cruft gets into windows with time and moving to a new machine is an ideal time to go with a fresh, clean install. You save yourself a huge potential for future trouble that way, I'd say.

Obviously old data files and work needs to be transferred still.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

This would work if both we XP, but he's going from W2K to XP, so he'd be losing XP if he did that (unless there's some functions in Ghost I'm not aware of).

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
And I still wouldn't use Ghost (personally, obviously) since you still get all the old crud with you if you do that. Then there are all the different components in the computers, probably not even close to identical, which will no doubt foul something up... sound, graphics etc won't work so you have to start uninstalling those drivers and reinstalling, etc... yuck, ugly. Easier to start clean and install what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks