What's new

Which is better, JBL S26 or B&W DM303 ? (1 Viewer)

Helder

Auditioning
Hello, my name is Helder, I live in Brazil. I'd like to apologize myself for the mistakes, since I'm not that good at English.
As you all, I'm also hooked on Home Theater and Hi Fi Equipment. In spite of the difficulties to purchase these equipments here in Brazil, due to it's high value, I could buy, after a long time, my HT. It's a very simple one. I use a RSV 530 Yamaha receiver and a pair of JBL S26II as front speakers.
The question is: have you ever compared a S26 to a B&W 303 ? The B&W is really superior ? In which ways ? Here in Brazil a lot of people are fond of these B&W speakers. Based on their opinion, I was thinking about replacing my JBL's by these 303, although I won't be able to listen them before doing it. The nearer B&W dealer is very far from my city, so I'd buy it from internet, without listening them previously. I would do it based on general people's opinion, which prefere them instead of the S26.

What do you think ? In your opinion, the 303's are really better ? Or it's just a matter of personal taste ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Helder.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Based on what I've read, I'd say the S26 is better. Give a listen to each and choose which sounds better to you. Good luck.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I owned the JBL S26, and yes, I have compared it to the B&W 303. To me, the JBL is better than the 303....better imaging, better bass, and warmer sound. The 303 sounded lifeless (powered by Marantz electronics) to my ears, while my JBL (powered by Sony electronics) was always ready to boogie. Despite the relatively huge size of the JBL, they don't go very deep. They will do fine in a small room by themselves though. Where I am, the 303 is as much as 1/3 more in price. I would rather apply that money toward a powered sub to reinforce the lower frequencies.

Helder

Auditioning
Ok, thank you all for your help. Is there anyone else who would like to give more opinions ?

Thanks a lot.
Helder - Brazil.

chris_clem

Second Unit
I bought the 303's two months ago (2 pairs, plus the LCR3 center channel and the ASW300 sub) and paired it with an Onkyo SR-600 amp after auditioning a lot of brands including JBL, Mission, Kenwood, Boston Acoustics, etc. After a lot of thought and research I chose the B&W's and so far, I have been VERY satisfied with them. IMO they're not overly bright as some speakers I listened to in this price range were (which might explain why some would call call them "lifeless") and they sound great with all sorts of music and movies! I really don't think you'll be dissappointed with these speakers :) Good Luck!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it was the matching of Marantz electronics and the B&W 303 that makes them sound "lifeless" to my ears....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks