What's new

Which is better: Front or Down firing? (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Which one is better? Looking into a sub purchase. Any differences between the two? Preferences, accuracy, frequency response, etc...

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I'm considering the JBL 12s from the harmon audio site. One is front firing and the other is down firing. These girls have been reman'd and offer a full 1-yr warranty. My only concern is the reliability issues with the amplifier section. I've sent them an email asking about the amp section. We'll see what they say.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
John,

For the money they're asking for the PB12 you could get a new one from JandR.com for $299 and 5 year warranty with free shipping. Or consider the PB10---$199, same deal. The D112 does look tempting.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Here's the reply I got from Harmon Audio. They essentially didn't answer my question, just a generic "reman'd to factory specifications...." I had asked if the amp section had a new design or some type of retrofit done to remedy the situation with the frying amps.

"The units labeled with a "Z," after the name are factory remanufactured units. This term is used to describe an item that has been repaired or restored back to factory specification and proper operating condition, by us the manufacturer. We back the quality of these products 100%. They come with the same accessories and warranty as if they were brand new, unless otherwise stated, but may have minor scratches or other imperfections in their appearance."

Still, for the price, I don't think I can go wrong with one of these babies. Checking the audioreview site, there were around 100 or so reviews on each of the two subs I was looking at. So, roughly 200 people out of how many were sold (thousands I would speculate) had less than desirable results. Also, not all of the reviews there were negative. Anyone else care to comment on these units?

What's the difference in these two anyway? Best I can tell, it's that the PSW series is older than the PS series. I had to do some serious digging on JBL's site to find any info on the PSW series, plus you can't find the PSW for sale on the net. You can find the PS series on sale just about everywhere. Would this be a safe assumption? Do you guys think that they would have fixed the reliability problems on the amps, specifically the reman'd ones?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Only one way to find out. Get one and take them up on their

warranty if things go wrong. JBL, H/K, Infinity, not to mention all the other great brands under Harman International, really back up their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks