1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which is better for music: upgrade from Kenwood VR507 to HK520 or NAD C370?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinQ, Nov 15, 2002.

1. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

I have a Kenwood HTB504 system (home theater in a box), which is a very good value for beginner. Since I use the home theater on a 90% music and 10% movie basis, I posted in another board that I want to upgrade front L & R and center speakers (such as Axiom, Ascend, etc). The HK520 is available from soundcity at $510, a good deal at this price. How large improvement will I get by upgrading from Kenwood VR507 to HK520?
    I don't really care too much about improvement on the movie side. I am mostly concentrate on improving music reproduction. I noticed the HK520 has a 85W (20 to 20 KHz, 0.07% THD, while the VR507 has 100W (20 to 20 KHz,

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Kevin,
    i believe i posted in one of your other threads, but here's my $.02 on this.
    i'd be willing to bet that the NAD would sound a bit better with either of those speakers (in particular it is rated to drive 4 ohm speakers which is what the Ascends are).
    but, you should probably just get the HK.
    i know HK will sound fine with the Ascends, and assume it would sound well with the Axioms, but you will need it for HT anyway.
    the problem with the Kenwood is that 100 watt rating is false- its more like 33-35 watts.
    either of those other two will provide a much larger sound.
    you will notice going from the Kenwood to the others, that the sound stage will expand, imaging and details will be more discernible & more precise among other things.

i compared a HK 520 with a NAD 761 and much preferred the sound of the NAD. i felt that going from the HK to the NAD was like going from the Kenwood to the HK.
    that big of a difference.
    problem is that model seems to have major quality control issues. thats the only reason i wouldn't recommend it.
    the HK will do you just fine though, and has plenty of features to get you by for quite a while.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, if two-channel music is your bag, get a quality integrated amp like the NAD C 370 over a comparably priced home-theater receiver. The C 370 is a bargain amp. I use one in my main stereo system (biamped with the NAD C 270 power amp), and the C 370 is a wonderful amp for the money. In the end, try to compare the NAD integrated and H/K receiver and let your ears decide, but my vote is for the NAD integrated easily.

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Kevin;

No question about it, IMHO - get the NAD C370. It will trounce on any HT amp - even NAD's own receivers.

/Jeff

5. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

My heart wants the NAD C370. The problem is that VR507 doesn't have pre-outs except for subwoofer. And the power subwoofer doesn't have speaker level inputs.

Since I am geting two new bookshelf speakers, is there any way to do bass management with the VR507 and C370?

I am leaning toward a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52 at this moment. Would the NAD C370 be able to drive them?

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I don't see how you could do bass management with the C 370 since it is a basic stereo integrated amp. As for the Dynaudio speakers, what is the sensitivity and impedance? NAD rates the C 370 at 120W x 2 continuous power into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz), however, NAD amps tend to measure out higher. I doubt the C 370 will have any problems driving the Dynaudio speakers. For the record, I use Totem Arro floorstanders with my C 370 (biamped with the C 270 power amp), and the Arro has a sensitivity of 85.5 dB at 4 ohms. I biamped the C 370 with the C 270 for better sound (the C 370 drives the tweeters and the C 270 drives the drivers), but I never felt that the C 370 strugged with the Arro. Adding the C 270 opened things up, but that is common when biamping.

7. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

Keith, thanks for the info. The Audience 52 is rated as 86db, 4ohms. The general feedbacks seem to be that NAD C370 is able to handle it.

If I go with the Dynaudio, it is possible to do crossover with a quality subwoofer? Not sure whether the Hsu VTF-2 will cut it?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, you should be able to incorporate a subwoofer with the Dynaudio speakers. What are they rated down to? If you go with the NAD C 370 integrated amp, you will need an external crossover box since the C 370 does not have crossover adjustments or a subwoofer pre-out. I suppose you could use an Outlaw ICBM for a stereo system.

9. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Kevin:

The NAD will be able to handle any speaker you throw at it. NAD builds bullet-proof power supplies - never yet seen a model that couldn't drive an inefficient speaker.

/Jeff

10. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

Keith, the Audience 52 is rated as 52.0Hz-24Khz +3.0/-3.0dB, which I can live with for music. I might just need to save up for a new receiver after upgrading the speakers and amplifer.

Paul is right that the Kenwood HTiB has little value after you decide to upgrade.

Jeff, thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to joining the NAD team soon.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, thanks. If you decide to get the C 370, please post your thoughts. What will you be using as your front-end component?

12. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

Keith. I am currently using a SONY SCD-CE775, which is again a good value for a changer with SACD capability. I might send it to mods, but definitely after I get the speaker/sub and receiver covered.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, O.K. I am quite confident that the C 370/'CE775 will make an excellent combo. I am using a Sony 'C555ES SACD changer with my C 370/C 270 biamped set-up and a 'C555ES with an NAD C 350 integrated amp in my second system and am very pleased with these combinations. I used a 'CE775 with the C 350 for a little while before moving to the 'C555ES and was quite pleased with the 'CE775 too. You would do very well by adding the C 370. [​IMG]

14. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

Keith, thanks. I am very glad to know the CE775 and C370 is a good combo.

15. rick_perez

rick_perez Auditioning

Kevin we are in similar but different situations. i also have the vr507 and am looking to upgrade to the HK520 or HK525 very soon. I'm sure i'll go with the 520, due to the great deals on the market. I really enjoy the clean warm sound of the HK.

My uses will be about 75% movies 25% music. good luck with whatever decision you make