What's new

Which is better: DVD-A or SACD? (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I'm looking to get a new DVD player. Is one (DVD-A or SACD) better than the other? I don't want to buy two seperate units; but seems like I noticed a DVD player that offered SACD playback (help me here with model/brand...)

I've found several DVD-A players in my range, leaning towards the Toshiba 4700 or the JVC 70. Thanks!

John Royster

Screenwriter
I'll give it a shot.
The one that has the media/titles you like the most.
There are countless debates on the future and technology behind both. So much so that I feel it is comes down to media.;)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Get the new Pioneer Elite DV-47A for $750 from Soundpros.com & get SACD & DVD-audio. That price includes shipping. It's a new progessive scan DVD player that should be released anyday now. It also plays MP3 CDs along with CD-R & CD-RW.

AjayM

Screenwriter
John hit the nail on the head, it doesn't matter which one is better (IMHO SACD :)), but if whichever format really is better doesn't have the software you like, then it doesn't matter. Either format is an improvement on redbook CD's (when comparing on similiar equipment levels).
Andrew

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot more titles available for SACD than DVD-Audio. If I was looking today I'd wait for a few months for a universal.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, if $750 is within your budget, then consider the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. Of course, since it is not out yet, its performance (audio and video) is largely unknown. I know you said that you would not like to buy two components to get SACD and DVD-Audio, but don't close your mind to that possibility. For around $500 (J&R Music World, 1-800-221-8180), the Panasonic DVD-RP91 is a very good DVD-Audio and DVD-Video player. It is a progressive-scan DVD player that consistently gets high marks on this site for picture quality (no chroma bug, for example). As for SACD, consider the Sony SCD-C222ES multi-channel SACD carousel changer for $525 from Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). Oade Bros. is an authorized Sony dealer. The 'C222ES is a very capable CD and SACD player, and build quality is quite good. For $800, the Sony SCD-C555ES carousel changer is even better in all respects.
As for SACD/DVD players, your only option below $1000 for multi-channel SACD and progressive-scan video output is the Sony DVP-NS900V. Given the excellent reputation of the Panasonic 'RP91, I would get it and pass on the Sony player. For around $1000, the 'RP91 and 'C222ES combo would be very tough to beat. Finally, J&R Music World will probably match or beat Oade Bros.' price on the 'C222ES, so you could do very well if you were to buy both components through them.
To see the current DVD-Audio catalog, go to www.digitalaudioguide.com and note the links for 2000, 2001, and 2002 under "Music Releases". For a list of available SACDs, go to www.superaudio-cd.com and click on "SACD Title Information" at the top. This link will allow you to download the list as an Excel file or PDF.
By the way, a "universal" player you might have seen out there besides the Pioneer Elite '47A is the APEX AD-7701 that J&R Music World sells for $250. I wouldn't bother with it, as it has been said to have a number of performance issues.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Keith, well said. I bought a A10 dvd-a player for $499, a couple weeks later it went on sale for $399, they have a policy to get the difference so I did. and I got the 222 from Oade at $525 shipped, so for under $1000 I got both, and they are both quality pieces, retail for both would be close to $2000, so I saved a lot.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rodney, I too got the 'A10 for $400, and it is an excellent player for the money. You don't often get that kind of build quality even at double the price. More expensive DVD-Audio players such as the Integra DPS-7.2 and Rotel RDV-1080 aren't built as well (sound quality might be better though). All in all, the 'A10 was an outstanding value. The 'A10 and 'C222ES is a great combo for just under $1000. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Unless the '47A is truly excellent, I feel people would be well served to get the 'C222ES and 'RP91. Use the 'RP91 for DVD-Video and DVD-Audio and the 'C222ES for CD and SACD. I like having a changer, so the 'C222ES brings some flexibility that the '47A doesn't offer.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Another very happy DVD-A10 owner here. By the time I got mine they were down to $350. Now they're all gone, except I found some for sale about 2 months ago but I can't remember where. Recently I've started re-evaluating the remaster function using the 5.1 inputs on my new pre/pro and I'm very impressed with this piece as not only a DVD-A and DVD-V player (very good interlaced unit), but as a CD player. I would like SACD but

* I can't afford one.

* I don't need one with good DVD or CD performace, if it's cheap and has DSD that's all I care about - so maybe Sony's next generation SACD player will be mine.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
$1000 is a bit much for me to stomach. I'm leaning towards a solution under $300, such as the Toshiba 4700 or the Sony 700, maybe the Panasonic RP56 (although it doesn't have DVD-A). Maybe I'll hold off for a while and see what comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks