Which is a better match for Paradigm Monitor/Studio setup, Sony DA5ES or Denon 3802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Apr 15, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Which is a better match for Paradigm Monitor/Studio setup, Sony DA5ES or Denon 3802?

I was leaning towards the Sony, but many people state that this a bright receiver.

Right now I have Paradigm 2 Monitor 11's, 4 Mini Monitors, and CC-370 but later on I will upgrade to the Paradigm Studio line (100's x 2, 20's x 4, Studio CC).

My music habits are 70% music 30% home theater.

Thanks!

James

2. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I swear I wouldn't be bumping this if I wasn't going to be buying one of these receivers tomarrow.:b

james

3. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

James

I have Paradigm reference speakers too and they sound

fine when driven by Denon. I am looking for an upgrade

for my receiver and I am taking a good look at Denon

HK and Marantz.

Robert

4. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

The Denon has questionable amp quality, but the Sony's amp section is a bit more stronger. As far as sheer sound quality, the Sony wins hands down.

5. Aaron Holbrook

With your preference of music over HT the denon is defiatly better. From what I hear the sony is bright in 2ch stereo, and the denon sounded great with my monitor 7's. You might want to look into Integra, I absolutly love mine, I chose it over the denon for a few small reasons. In 2ch stereo they sound really similar. I just got a 7.1 on closeout for 870, it dosen't have DPL II or ES discrete but I wasn't gona spend 300 + to get the 7.2 just for those options. But anyways back to your question I would go with the denon over sony, I hear that denon is plannin a 3803 is a few months....possibly better amp section?

6. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

7. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Well I do plan on using the receiver as a pre/pro along with a 200 watt x 7 ch. amp eventually. I'm just worried about what I've been hearing so far about everybody saying the Sony is bright. I'm still not sure what I should do.

James

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Listen to one and form a personal opinion?

Is that very off base at all?

9. chaz fifer

chaz fifer Agent

In my opinion (and experience with both receivers) the Denon has a much warmer,natural sound. Why anyone would call the Denon's amps "questionable" is beyond me.The Sony is a solid performer, but I find it to be a little to bright for my taste.If you do an A-B comparison using your model speakers (or something close to their performance), you will get truely neutral results. As for my findings,Denon edges out Sony a small ammount on music, and a great deal on HT.

10. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

To my ears, the Sony is brighter than the Denon. I have Paradigm speakers, and traded my Sony in for a Denon just to get a warmer, more natural sound.

IMHO, as always!

... Greg :)

11. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Having had the sony 777es and the denon 3801 mated with nht speakers my opinion is that the denon walks on the sony for music BUT the sony is better on HT. Yes the sony is brighter but lends itself well to ht, 3 32 bit processors to one and you can tell, seperation, dialog better with sony. Again denons warmer sound is much more pleasing to (my) ears for music though.

Not to mention that the sony has lots more to offer, best base management that there is on any unit anywhere period. EQ for fronts, 2 sets of 5.1 inputs and about a 1000 tweakable settings.

12. james e m

james e m Second Unit

"Listen to one and form a personal opinion?

Is that very off base at all?"

Wow! Why didn't I think of that?

I wouldn't be asking these questions if I had that opportunity.

13. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

As much as I like most of my many Sony products, I wouldn't think of the Sony as a first choice with Paradigm speakers. When I've listened to Sony and Paradigm products together, they really haven't done each other justice.

Admittedly, I haven't heard the exact combinations you mention, so you can take (or leave) my viewpoint FWIW.