which is a better connection...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Richard_Fuentes, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Richard_Fuentes

i was wondering if someone could give me some advice on which cables would be better for connecting a dvd player to a projector. my dvd player is a cambridge audio 540d azur. and my projector is a toshiba tlp-et1u. should i use a cable with both ends component? or should i use a cable with one end mini d-sub and the other end component? which cable would give me the best picture given the equipment that i'm using. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. please and thank you very much.

2. Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane Second Unit

3. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

If both inputs can accept 480p/720p/1080i then it should be the same either way. Some projectors will not allow 480p and up in its component input, only allowing 480i. If it's the latter case, you want to send progressive 480p via the component to vga adapter.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It likely does not make a difference - but I'd go with a component cable with RCA plugs on either side.

Having the 3 cables as separate things tends to help prevent cross-talk/bleed over. And trying to get those 3 thick cables to merge into a VGA-style plug - I suspect there is a small amount of space where things are not properly shielded, and it is a large strain to get things to merge, etc.

(Remember - you are sending 3 high-frequency analog signals into a plug designed to carry digital signals - it's a bit of a kludge.)

So a good, HD rated component cable would be my choice just because the mini-Dsub seems like a gimick.

5. Jorge M

Jorge M Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure VGA is an analog, not digital signal. Your point stands, though: converting from component to VGA is a "hack" and should probably be avoided, except for a good reason like James pointed out.