What's new

Which Inputs are Line Doublers Used? (1 Viewer)

Ron Schildt

Agent
I'm hoping to purchase the 53" HD5 Pioneer set very soon. I've heard the line doubler on this set is one of the best. Is the line doubler active on all the inputs? I have a non-progrssive DVD player which I can send straight to the TV as component or S-Video, or go through the Denon 3300 as either of these. I've heard the line doubler isn't active on the component input so I'd be better off using the s-video input to the TV to take advantage of the line doubler.

Is this true?

Also will have the rest of my video inputs (digital cable, OSD from receiver, etc) coming in through s-video also.

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
Someone with firsthand knowledge with the Pioneer may write in but this is almost certainly false. All or virtually all HD-ready sets pass ALL inputs through their deinterlacers EXCEPT progressive and HD. You definitely want to pass your DVD input into the set via component to take advantage of the more accurate colors that component provides. The source of confusion may be that progressive is always via component, but this does not imply that interlaced component doesn't go through the deinterlacer. And I would send the component directly from the player to the TV, and bypass the receiver. I haven't found any ease of use advantage in going through the receiver and there may be signal degradation.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
All inputs on HD ready sets pass thru the sets internal line doubler...When the set is being inputed with a progressive signal such as one from a progressive dvd player, or an HD signal, the line doubler is automatically by passed...

Ron Schildt

Agent
Thanks for the answers. Maybe I was confusing what I read in some other threads with progressive input using the component inputs.

Makes this a bit easier until I can save up for a progressive player.

Anyone care to chime in on the quality differences between component NON-progressive DVD playback (using the line doubler) compared to progressive DVD playback on the Pioneer 533HD5?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks