What's new

Which input do you use for your game system? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I'm new to gaming but not to H/T. I'm currently using the AUX inputs for my PS2 on my Yamaha receiver. It works for now, but when I find a spot for the PS2 in my equipment rack, I'll have to switch inputs on my receiver as my AUX inputs are only on the front pannel of the receiver and I don't want cables sticking out of the front at ALL times. I thought about using the VCR2 input and it occured to me to ask all of you what input all of you use on your H/T receivers.

The only inputs I have open are VCR2, MD, AUX (front only), and Phono I think. I don't have it in front of me so I can't remember exactly. I have a Yamaha RXV620 BTW.

So what input do all of you use?

Andre F

Screenwriter
I use Video 2 (Gamecube)and DVD (PS2, I go straight to the TV component hookup on my TV). With this setup I can't run the DVD player and the PS2 at the same timw but why would I want to?
-Andre F

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I invested in a used Extron HDTV/component-video switcher from Ebay. Six inputs, one output. I feed PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast, HD cable box, and DVD player into it, then run output to my TV.

For audio, I'm using various inputs on my pre-amp. The Xbox and PS2 use up two of my four optical inputs, assigned to "AUX 1" and "AUX 2" on the pre-amp. Dreamcast gets "Video 2," and my N64, "Video 3." Gamecube audio goes to "Tape" -- it was the only analog audio input I had left.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I use S-Video for my PS2 and Gamecube. I was contemplating moving to component video, but from what I've gathered, on a non HD 27" flat screen TV, the difference will be negligible and not worth the cost/effort. For audio, I use the optical input for the PS2 and one of the analog inputs on my Onkyo 494 reciever for the Cube.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I run my Gamecube, PS2 and DVD player all using S-Video to my receiver (a Yamaha RX-V1200) and then S-Video to my TV (a 27" Sony, with one S-Video in, no Component in). On the back of the Yamaha, the GameCube is connected to VCR2, the DVD player to DVD, and the PS2 to LD. Works for me. I can't imagine there is any internal difference between any of the Video-In connections on the Yamaha, so I doubt it really makes much of a difference at all.

Oh, my Yamaha allows me to rename the inputs, which is really nice. When I choose VCR2, the front panel (and OSD) says "GameCube"

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I invested in a used Extron HDTV/component-video switcher from Ebay.
Brandon, if you don't mind me asking. How much did you pick that up for? Just Curious. Also, you had to adapt all of the RCA's to BNC, correct?

Oh, and to stick with the topic. I have a PS2, PS1, and Dreamcast all hooked through S-Video on my 32HS20 Sony. My X-Box and DVD both use Component jacks.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
XBox - component video into a composite switchbox; I'm currently using the standard cables that come with the HD accessory pack, with a MonsterVideo3 from my DVD player to the box and a MonsterVideo2 cable running from the box to my VVega KV-36FS12. Audiowise, just an old optical cable I had lying around that came with my portable DVD player.

My roommate has his PS2 connected via composite video and RCA stereo cables. Would moving up to component video offer any appreciable improvement with the PS2? The PS2 looks awfully soft and colors seem pretty dull, especially compared to the XBox.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have an Xbox, PS2 and GameCube connected to a JVC component video switcher. The switcher goes into one of the component video inputs on a Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver. A Sony carousel dvd player goes into the other component input. The Xbox, PS2 and dvd player are connected digitally via optical cables. The GameCube is analog only, but the receiver pumps out surprisingly robust DPLII sound for that.

This switcher/receiver setup only set me back around $300 in total. I think that's a fair price to pay to be able to play all of these devices at their optimum resolution and output without having to constantly plug and unplug.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I use all of my s-video inputs on my receiver (Kenwood VR-509) & run it to my Toshiba 36-in. TV.(one s-video input,no component).

That works fine for me.

Calvin

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Apparently some of you must have misunderstood the question. I wasn't asking what type of cables you use, I was asking which input you used for your game systems (VCR, CDR, DVD, Phono, AUX, etc.). Sorry for the misunderstanding if I wasn't clear.

Thanks for all your input though!

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, sorry for the delay in answering your question. I paid about $200 for it, in perfect working condition but minus power cord and manual. I just downloaded the manual from Extron's site, and bought a stock $10 power cord at Rat Shack. I had to spend another $15 or so to get 21 RCA-to-BNC connectors to adapt the jacks.

Although steep, it still beat the $800 asking price for a new Extron, and I was assured of being able to pass 720p/1080i signals. The only other alternative was to use one of the cheap manual composite a/v switchers -- which others have had success with but I was skeptical of -- or buy the JVC switcher for $80-$100, which, according to some, might not have the bandwidth to pass greater than 480p or so.

As a side note, I've been told by some that Extron RGB switchers will pass a component signal as well, and those go on sale at Ebay -- cheap -- all the time. I don't know firsthand whether it works, but it might worth a chance if someone willing to gamble $30 or so. . .

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have my XBOX hooked into the DVD input of my receiver (Kenwood 507), GameCube is hooked into the AUX (front input, if you saw my setup... you'd see why). My laserdisc player goes into the front input on the TV. My TV is VIDEO 1 and my computer is VIDEO 2 (hooked via SPDIF). And I still have 2 analogue, 1 optical, and 1 coax input opened!
:D

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
My N64 (yes, still hooked up) is connected to a JVC Video switch which, in turn, is plugged into my receiver.
The Gamecube is using the component video cables and is plugged into the Receivers TV/Sat component input.
The PS2 is also using component video and it too is plugged into the Receiver using the DVD input (my DVD players are hooked up elsewhere).
The Componenent out from my receiver goes into an IScan Pro which upconverts everything into 480P. Unfortunately, that means I don't have the PS2 or Gamecube running int 480P mode natively, but since the majority of games don't generate 480P natively I think this is a more optimal solution. Too bad the IScan Pro doesn't just pass a 480P signal straight through...
Link Removed
-Alan

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Well I have a sony av switcher and it is enough for all of my systems(NES, SNES, Dreamcast) so I that just goes into the 2nd set of inputs on my wega. If I had ps2 though I would use s-video. God how I want a ps2:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks