which hdtv?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by keith jay, Jun 8, 2003.

1. keith jay

keith jay Auditioning

spoke to isf calibrator yesterday and he told me that the best hdtv is the pioneer/pioneer elite rptv because they do not upconvert 480p from dvd players. i'm currently looking for a 60-65 inch hdtv for a new home theater system and will mainly be watching dvd's and sports. i'm planning to receive satellite and ota hdtv. and i'm interested in pioneer elite, hitachi swx, and samsung dlp. i would like to find out which would be best for sports and dvd's.

2. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

I'd go Samsung. It does 720P native and any progressive scan beats an interlaced TV, even 1080i with Sports.

3. keith jay

keith jay Auditioning

thanks for the input. i had heard that and it's good to get more feedback because you just cannot compare all the different types of signals in the stores. i'm just going by word of mouth and magazine reviews. does any one have any info on dvd in 480p or upconverted to 540p/720p/1080i. does it depend on the sets internal processing? if so, then are progressive scan dvd players to become obsolete. or is 480p dvd superior to the higher formats?

4. Matthew Jon

Matthew Jon Auditioning

I am looking at the Hitachi 57" SWX Or the SF500. The SWX has the Anti-Glare Screen and the 500 does not. But mine is going to the Basement. So I do not need a Glare proof screen.