Which HD to use? Maxtor or WD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave E H, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Figured this was a good place to ask:

I've got 2 HD's in my workstation now which I need to reformat anyway & reinstall. I just added the second drive, and I was thinking about what to use for my primary & which to use as the slave.

I have 2 drives:
    * One ATA 133 Maxtor 740 60 gig drive
    * One ATA 100 Western Digital 80 gig Special Edition (w/ 8 meg cache.)

Here's how I plan to use this:
    * one 10 gig system partition - only install the OS and anything that doesn't give me a choice
    * the rest of the drive would be one big partition for all my apps and stuff
    * put the page file on the second drive (using XP Pro)?

The complete other drive will be the MP3 & share directory for my local lan.

My thoughts:
    * the WD is probably the fastest. I have an ATA 133 MB, but I don't think the interface matters
    * I don't really need more than 40-50 gigs for my application directory, so I could use either as my primary drive
    * I plan on adding a slimp3 player & share the mp3 directory for my network, so that drive will be in use by other applications

Also, I have a RAID card built on my MB (Asus A7V333) For best performance should I put each HD on a separate channel? (I believe you can do that - I think the RAID controller supports 4 different IDE devices). Would that make a difference? Or should I go the traditional Master/slave on the same channel?

Thanks - probably going to start rebuilding the system tomorrow.

2. Dave E H

anyone?

3. Thomas_Jones

Thomas_Jones Auditioning

Hello, I have a similar set up. I am running two 40 GB Western Digital 133 drives on a IDE RAID 0 config. (In which the data is broken down into blocks and each block is written to a separate disk drive, thus improving performance). I love this set-up, and although it's a little excessive for a HTPC, it's great for high-end video games. I have to back up often because RAID 0 offers no fault protection, but I've had no problems as yet.

In your case: If you want to run your drives in a RAID setup, then put them on the same channel. You'll wind up using them together as one big HD (which you can then partition however you like).

However, I don't know about your particular setup. You have two drives with different sizes, speeds, and manufacturers. I haven't done anything like that before so I'm not sure what you'll encounter. You'll probably have to run both drives at 100, and you might lose the extra 20 Gigs from your WD.

If you don't run your drives in RAID, then definitely put them on separate channels. Otherwise, anytime you try to copy from one to the other you'll get a lot of thrashing and wasted time.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

4. Dave E H

Thanks. I hve no real need to run them in RAID - just want the additional storage space.

I guess I'll go with teh 2 channel setup - that seems to have hte most benefit, performance wise.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Maxtor is coming out with 8 MB cache drives too. Should be as fast as WD or very close? Faster? Who knows.

6. JoeSR

JoeSR Extra

If u put them in raid then u'll definitely lose 20Gb of space; u'd end up w/ a total of 120Gb.

I'd use the WD for the OS and stuff; over the network the 8Mb cache will mean jack, so the 60Gb will do fine.

And yes, put them on seperate channels.