What's new

Which graphics card????? (1 Viewer)

Tyler Gagnon

Stunt Coordinator
6800 Ultra or Ati x850 PE? Have the cash i want the best one out there, I am not ready for SLI though.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Depends. Both will perform well. The ATI x850 is a little loud for my taste, but it's up to you. :)

Both cards do what they do well. The Nvidia will outpace the ATI (for now) in Doom3, in HL2, it's much more of a toss up.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I've gone from a Radeon 9500 to a 6800GT, and I have no regrets. If you're at all interested in HTPC, the nVidia cards (combined with their $20 codecs) are by far the best. For gaming, they also have advanced support for shaders that ATI skipped, although only a few games so far have been announced that support it. Far Cry and Battle for Middle Earth are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head. Two identical nVidia cards, when combined with a motherboard that has two PCI Express slots, can use SLI for the ultimate, if you really have no price limit. I'd go for whatever the fastest 6800 flavor is, although from what I hear PCI Express might be a little bit better.

One note about noise: You can get the Arctic Cooling NV5 Silencer for better temperatures and much softer fan noise, but you lose a PCI slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks