What's new

Which genre is most represented in you DVD collection? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Look ma, a poll! :)
Anyway, I don't think any one genre holds sway in my DVD collection - I've got a little bit of everything.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Bad movies.

most of the movies I bought with out seeing them first. I do have a few that get thrown in the old DVD player more then once. Most of my movies are comedy's

GregoryM

Agent
I have a little bit of everything, but my collection is by far dominated by Hong Kong action movies. For about $4-6 each, you can stock up on acceptable quality imports from DDDHouse (Universe Laser). If you want to spend a few more dollars, the Mega Star versions go for about $12-$20, and the quality is a bit better. If you buy "Media Asia" movies from Amazon or Suncoast, they are most likely Universe Laser productions with the Media Asia label stuck on, and marked up $15-$25. Sometimes you'll find a Mega Star under the Media Asia label.

About 80 of my DVD's are Hong Kong movies. I replace the Universe/Mega Star versions when there is a quality rerelease from a North American Distributor that treats them with respect. This means uncut, anamorphic widescreen, original Cantonese or Mandarin language track, original music and sound effects. Colombia/Tristar does a pretty good job of this; I avoid the butchered Dimension (Disney) releases like the plague unless there is no other choice (Fist of Legend).

Note to Disney: If you rename the movie, cut scenes, replace the soundtrack (westernizing the music), offer only a dub, and don't even bother getting the original actors to dub themselves, you are not catering to the niche market that buys these movies.

Heinz W

Second Unit
Ok, I'll admit it outright! I am a self confessed SF-techno-gadget-geek!! A large percentage is Science Fiction.
And yes, many of them are just horrid! :D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
It's kind of difficult to catagorise my collection because I consider at least 90% of the titles to be action. While Se7en, Clear and Present Danger and The Sopranos have little in common they're all action to me.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I have allot of genre covered but, I seem to notice a common base story line:

One mans strugle against society.

A.I.

American Beauty

Clerks

Fight Club

Forest Gump

Gattaca

The Graudate

Grosse Point Blank

K-Pax

Say Anything

The Shawshank Redemption

Shrek

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Largest is the general Drama category (which doesn't include Cult dramas and Hitchcock), then Comedy not far behind, and Sci-Fi which isn't far behind that. Horror and Sci-Fi combined (and there is a lot that mixes) would be a total winner if they were the same category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AaronChi
Recent bookmarks