Which gaming site would you join?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ryan_x, Jul 18, 2002.

1. ryan_x

ryan_x Stunt Coordinator

Im thinking of joining either ign.com or gamespot.com but cant really decide there both 20 bucks for the year...which one should i go for

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Gamespot currently IMO offers the better service. The new high quality movies they offer are really nice and you 'll have access to allot of downloadable content that is actually fast!

Also from a content perspective Gamespot offers a more organized news platform. They update the news section regularly throughout the day. (IGN usually updates once and usually later in the evening). Their reviews are for the most part well written and offer an unbiased opinion (as unbiased as you can get), though they can be rather tough on the title they review. (though not necessarily a bad thing).

I am a subscriber to both, and I enjoy both but I feel Gamespot offers the better deal of the two.

3. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I subscribe to both and they both have strengths and weaknesses. IGN is great for comeprehensive strategy guides, a large library of easy to access archive materials, and their subscriber-only pdf magazine, "Unplugged". Gamespot has great video previews and even better video reviews, which really give you a good "feel" for any game you might be interested in. GameSpot also does a super job with daily live news reports from shows like E3. As far as daily game news goes, they both report events in a timely fashion and I'd rate them as comparable, giving a slight nod to GameSpot for some of their "in-depth" reporting. Either way, you can't go wrong, and an annual subscription easily pays for itself if it prevents you from purchasing a rotten game.

Gary

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm with neither, but as my answer to the thread title, I would say GameSpot.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I refused to pay for either.

You want me to pay for a website? Fine, then send me a magazine to go with it 12x a year.

Sam

6. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I won't pay for either as well, I do like how Gamespot allows you to access current stories without paying.

What I REALLY hate is IGN mixing in links to Insider only stuff on their main page with no indication it's Insider only. The only exception is the main image which has their locked icon in the corner if it's insider only.

Brian

7. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I subscribe to Gamespot. IGN is amateurish in my opinion.

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I'd say neither when you can just wait a week or so and the 'news' will show up for free elsewhere.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The only thing you don't get with GameSpot by not paying is all of the full-sized images, most of the downloadable stuff, and content more than a week old. I'd say either not pay for either, or pay for GameSpot if you are going to choose.

10. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

Careful what you download from Gamespot. Here is an article claiming GameSpots high-speed "download manager" places a digital-rights-management(DRM) and spyware package onto your PC...
    source:ExtremeTech
    Gamespot's "Download Manager" Hides Spyware, DRM

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Kontiki (the download manager) is only for the free downloads that you don't pay to get. If you pay for GSComplete, you download directly from GS without using Kontiki.

12. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Gamespot without a doubt.

I don't care what anyone's thoughts about paying for web content is, $20 a YEAR is pretty cheap for daily content and downloads.