Which gaming setup to go for?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren Lewis, May 6, 2002.

1. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I've been thinking about getting a new games setup. I don't play many games, but the ones I enjoy tend to be first-person (eg tombraider), strategy (command & conquer), flight sims, and driving games.

I'm not sure which route to go. I've always used a PC, but was very impressed when I looked at Halo on the Xbox in my local PC World. I don't really want to upgrade the OS on my PC as it all works very well now with my hardware and software.

Which option should I go for (budget around £300)

1. Upgrade my existing PC (P3-600 512Mb RAM, Win 2000 Pro, 8Mb ATI graphics card, 60Gb ATA-100 hard drive space in total) with a new graphics card (the mobo will take a P3 1GHz, but it's a slot 1)

2. Get a dedicated games console? If so, which one? Probably PS2 or Xbox. Are these games in 5.1 sound?

I'm not bothered about online gaming, and I've got a very good DVD player, so I'm not concerned with DVD playback.

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I'd go with an Xbox. Sounds like you're into PC games, and the Xbox will have more ports of those than the PS2 or GC (which means more first person, strategy, flight sims, driving games, etc). Xbox also has 5.1 surround.

3. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Ironically, the PS2 seems to be getting more PC ports than the Xbox. Well, it's getting more games in general because it's the market leader in terms of installed units, so that's where the developers are going.

If you need 5.1 sound on all games, though, go for the Xbox.

My suggestion: take a look at the available and upcoming games and decide that way. It's about the games in the end.

4. Darren Lewis

Thanks for the help. I'm now the proud owner of an Xbox with two controllers and two games (Halo and Project Gotham Racing)
    The Xbox is superb, and the graphics and gameplay sharp and smooth.
    Two questions. How do I get it do surround sound, and will it do s-video or RGB?
    Thanks.
    Darren.
    PS I'd always been a PC gamer, but playing games in the living room on a 32" Sony Widescreen TV is the business [​IMG]

5. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Hey Darren,
    you need the buy the Advanced AV pack which has the S-Video connection as well as the optical SPDIF connection you need for DD.
    Playing on a big screen has definitely converted my from PC gamer to a console gamer. In the past, the graphics on the consoles have been so lack luster in comparison to the PC, but the XBox is close enough that I'll take the big screen and DD for a drop in resolution [​IMG]

6. Darren Lewis

Thanks Steven, I'll try to find one this weekend.