1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Which games should be looked at as camera control role models?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StuartK, Nov 1, 2002.

1. StuartK

StuartK Extra

Been reading this forum quite a bit lately and it seems to me that the number one complaint that seems to pop up for just about every game is the camera system.

From Mario Sunshine to Spiderman to Splinter Cell, the camera always seems to be the game's Achilles heel.

Seems this would be a big issue with programmers given that they receive a lot of bad marks for it.

So, are there any 3-D perpective games, for console or computer, that should be looked at as a role model for programmers in style of camera movement and control?

Just curious.

-Stuart

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Heh, I've been wrestling with a similiar issue recently.

Mario64.
    Banjo Kazooie.
    Ico.

Personally, I like Buffy's camera, but it's frequently used as an example of a bad camera.

Broad sweeping generalisation: it's not always the camera that's at fault, frequently it's terrible room design that no automated camera could adequately keep up with.

3. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Jak and Daxter!

Also, for a sports game, the camera work in Beach Spikers is remarkable. It's disorienting at first, but you soon come to realize just how well it's done.

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I like the camera system in Outlaw Golf. It offers the most control of any videogame camera I've ever used, which makes lining up those snarky 30-foot putts just a touch easier...

[edit]Oh, I just realized that may not fit your criteria for 3-D action games...sorry about that...

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I'll second Banjo-Kazooie. Both the automagic camera movement and the manual user-control of the camera are very well done.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

One that hasn't been mentioned yet, Toejam and Earl 3. The camera never places you in a position where you don't have a good view of the action. Any buildings or trees automatically fade out when your character ends up behind them. Very good camera.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Of course, in TJE3, certainly in the levels I've seen, it doesn't exactly have much to do, does it?

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Like I said, Romier, in the levels I've seen (from the demo & from it being played here), the terrain is largely "flat" & outdoors - it's not your typical 3D action or platformer, is it?

That you mention YOU have to adjust it frequently kinda blows it as being a good example, surely?

10. Jay_Sharp

Jay_Sharp Stunt Coordinator

Syphon Filter series has a great 3rd person camera.

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Tough question, since the best cameras are the ones you don't notice. I do think they have gotten worse in the past year though.
    I'd disagree about the Beach Spikers camera though. The main problem is that when you hit the ball to the other side & the camera switches to the other team, your character is off camera. Exacerbating the problem is that the game momentarily freezes you character so she can't move.
    The Tony Hawk series has excellent camera usage, as does Halo. On the PC side, FAKK2 was excellent. It's tough to remember any third person PC games though.
    For what it's worth, in a 3rd person game, I think a good camera should allow the user to take control. Sometimes I just like to look at dumb crap in the game. [​IMG]
    -Dave

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer