Which First? Twin Peaks or Fire Walk with Me

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by david_shy, Mar 17, 2004.

1. david_shy

david_shy Agent

OK, I know she's dead & wrapped in plastic, but I missed out on Twin Peaks after the first few episodes

I've just purchased the First Season on DVD, as well as Fire Walk with Me

Fire Walk with Me is a "prequel" to Twin Peaks, and was made after Twin Peaks - is this the best viewing order with the advantage of hindsight?

Or should I start with Twin Peaks?

2. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

Start with TP (the series), otherwise many surprises will be spoiled...

3. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

Aside from revealing Laura Palmer's killer, the prequel makes several references to the series that you would be completely oblivous to without having watched.

I showed the prequel to my wife, who had never watched the show, and she was completely lost.

4. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

I agree. Start with the TV series first. If you've got a copy of the Region 0 DVD of the original pilot episode, show that first, then go with the Artisan DVD of Season 1. Then you'll have to fall back to your VHS tapes of Season 2 before watching FWWM.

5. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Definitely start with the TV show - I see you're in Melbourne, so good news! the r4 release of season 1 has the pilot (unlike the r1 release). Then try to find the second season - you may find it in good video stores, although the visual quality will probably be pretty bad. Then, and only then, watch FWWM.

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Another reason to go region free.

You can get the entire series on DVD outside region 1.

As for the order. as others have said....

-Pilot
    -Season1
    -Season2
    -Fire Walk With Me

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

There is a section in the FAQ AND PRIMER about this.

-V

8. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

The only version version with the entire series is from Korea (I think) and is by reputation awful quality. Season 2 is reportedly coming out later this year (but not for region 1), and quality should be comparable to the current season 1 release.

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I don't remember where it's from either, but it does indeed suck. Worse than VHS quality.

10. Eric Brunton

Eric Brunton Agent

Vince, I have never been able to find this in the FAQ/Primer section. I don't remember the problem exactly, but either the link wasn't working, or the topic wasn't there. Can you provide us with the link to the topic in the primer section. Thanks!

11. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

The entire series DVD-set was released by Manga Films in Spain. It looks bad when viewed on a PC monitor, but on TV it's good enough. About the same quality as regular TV broadcasts. The sound has clicking in some scenes and it is a bit heavy on the treble. You can hear what they say though...

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

It doesn't look or sound nearly as good as the laserdiscs, so I'm waiting for a decent release (even if it forces me to go region-free).

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

14. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Spain - that's where the release was from. Thanks Roger.

I first saw TP on video tapes from the video store. The quality was truly awful. But the show is great enough to overcome poor visual quality.

But, given that there is probably going to be a better quality release of season 2 by the end of the year, I would advise you to wait, domn't get this poor quality Spanish release, watch a VHS of season 2 if you can find one, otherwise just wait six months for the DVD release.