Which film is the biggest box-office disaster?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve jaros, Dec 18, 2002.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Your options:

1) Solaris
    2) Treasure Planet
    3) Analyze That

All of these are huge failures, but i'd vote for TP as the biggest flop. True, Analyze That is a sequel to a big hit film, but TP has an even more impressive petigree - disney animation.

over the past 14 years nothing has been money-in-the-bank like a major disney animated film. even the so-called 'disappointments' like hercules and atlantis pulled in at least 80 mill. So to see TP peak at 30 mill is rather astonishing...

2. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

I'll go with Treasure Planet simply because I saw the movie and thought rather highly of it. It was your standard fare, but delivered in a most entertaining way. I haven't seen the other two, so I can't really say much about them.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    TP cost $140 million in negative costs and has made $30 million. This film had better be a big hit overseas.

4. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Brian - i haven't seen Analyze That. I did see TP but unlike you i was disappointed in it. The technical aspects were first-rate but i thought the story was lifeless.

I guess the disney/pixar guys are right - despite the attention paid to the technical wizardry of these advanced animated films, their success or failure really does depend on the qualitative aspects- the quality of the story and its emotional resonance with audiences.

As for Solaris - i saw and liked that film, but i can see why it flopped. It was far too adultish (i.e., slow, somewhat cerabral) for a holiday film.

5. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

Well Steve, I found it to be most entertaining. This may be in part due to the circumstances. I was taking my kids, and prepared to be disappointed. I ended up having a good time. My opinion may change, but I rather doubt it. As I stated above, it wasn't anything spectacular or fresh, but I felt it delivered a fun time. And my son enjoyed it too. Alas, my baby girl fell asleep. There's no pleasing everyone.

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Solaris has been a huge flop by any standards. I didn't expect Treasure Planet to do great, but it is still seriously underachieving. But to me, Solaris is even more of a disaster. And while Analyze That is underachieving and surprising, it's not doing as bad as the other two, or so it seems.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

It's a shame that Solaris did so poorly. In my opinion it has been one of the best films of the year so far.

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I actually haven't seen any of them, but I expect Solaris is only a flop from a marketing aspect. It is not what it was marketed as, it is what it should be. Even though it is not doing well in the short term, I expect it will do well in the end with overseas and video business.

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Analyze That - Returns must be disappointing, though I doubt this one really cost all that much.
    Solaris - Studio probably would have been happy with the movie breaking even in the U.S. No way this one could have been a big hit. May earn some solid coin in foreign and DVD.
    Treasure Planet - Very expensive. Disney's worst nightmare was probably that it would gross 50 million. The money train isn't nearly over for this one, but it may stay in the red forever.
    (My comments do not refer to the quality of the films, just my thoughts on the money end.)

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Why isn't Pluto Nash on the list?

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, I suspect Pluto Nash isn't on there because the others were expected to do reasonably well when released, but Nash was dumped as a known bomb.

I'd probably answer with Treasure Planet. I don't think a Disney movie has really flopped like this since The Black Cauldron. Still, I've got to wonder if it might have been avoided if they'd pushed it off to next summer, away from the Harry Potter juggernaut and when all the IMAX theaters would be open rather than showing Star Wars.