What's new

Which fave films you'd have made longer or even twice as long ? (1 Viewer)

GregGilchrist

Auditioning
My poll is a flipside to complaining about a few self indulgent films being far too long and in some cases getting sabotaged because of that.
What recent or older films personally engrossed you so much,that you reckon they're far too short and should've been much longer or even twice as long,without in turn ruining the film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Greg, welcome to the forum!
My answer is very easily Titanic. As awesome and great as the film is already, I thought it could benifit from having some of those cut scenes put back into the film.
Second choice, more recent, would be Jurassic Park III. I thought it was a fun ride, but ended too abruptly.
Third choice would definatly be Memento! I was so wrapped up in this film that returning to the real world after feverishly running through this maze, was a jarring experience! It would just have been nice to remain in that world a little longer.
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
- Gattaca: One of my favorite science fiction movies, but I just felt like it was too short.
- The Prince Of Egypt: This is my favorite animated film, and I wish that it could have been made longer. The ending just seemed a little too "rushed".
- Meet Joe Black
crazy.gif

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
One of the very, very few films I think should have been longer is Disney's SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES. There were hints of the sort of atmosphere that was present in the Bradbury novel, but this film needed to develop the relationship between father and son and between the two boys better - I think some of this may have been filmed but eventually was cut in deference to the special effects material. Too bad. Another half-hour of character development, plus a more coherent ending, would have lifted this to classic status.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Instead of lengthening A NEW HOPE, I would love to see a STAR WARS EPISODE 4.5 that chronicles the regrouping of the Empire after the Death Star is destroyed.
I agree that JURASSIC PARK III ended too soon, and I'd also love to see the deleted scenes of TITANIC.
Pieter
------------------
See my BoomRoom here. New pics as of Sep 01.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The whole Alien series could use MOST of the cut scenes returned.
Part 3 could use a longer cut.
Brent L

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't know if this counts, but I always thought the original theatrical cut of The Last Emperor seemed abrupt, choppy and unfocused. The more recent version, which runs like 3hrs, 20min or so actually seemed shorter because it flowed so much better.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here .
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here .
[Edited last by Rain on September 10, 2001 at 10:37 AM]

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
I'll agree with "Titanic" -- being a ship buff, I could have sat there for another couple hours and would welcome scenes aboard the Californian, aboard the Carpathia, more background on the passengers, a peek at second class (why is the second class always ignored?), scenes of the construction, scenes of the inquiries afterwards, well you get the idea.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence of Arabia is a classic example of how making a movie shorter can have terrible consequences. One scene that had been deleted was when the guy on the motorcycle shouted across the canal to Lawrence "Who are you?". That one question summarized what the entire movie was about!
The original version never should have been cut!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Gladiator. I would've loved to see another battle or two at the beginning. If not that then a longer version of the one battle we do see.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The Neverending Story could have been a 2 hour movie.
The Neverending Story could've been over three hours if they totally followed the book from start to finish.
I will agree with Almost Famous, Jurassic Park III, and Memento and I'll add in Mallrats (I would've loved to seen a two and a half hour comedy about malls :)).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks