What's new

Which Evil Dead 1/2 DVD release to get? (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I'm not a hardcore fan of the first two movies so much as Army of Darkness, but I was thinknig of picking up DVDs of them to replace my old tapes. Walmart has them for $7.50 right now, but I'm not sure if they'd be the best SD-DVD releases to get or not. Are the Book of the Dead releases the same transfers? I seem to remember hearing before that one of the Evil Dead releases was "fake" widescreen or something. Like OAR was actually supposed to be 1.33:1 and it was released matted to 1.85. ???

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If you can wait a couple weeks, Anchor Bay is releasing a 3-disc "Ultimate Edition" that will supposedly be the "Ultimate Edition" to have (at least until they release the inevitable Extra-Super-Deluxe-Ultimate Edition which will probably include a special feature that actually resurrects the dead) and will feature both the cropped/widescreen version and the original full-frame version. The Book of the Dead version of ED1 included the cropped/matted widescreen version that Sam Raimi supposedly prefers. I believe this is the same transfer that is included on the economy model but I could be mistaken.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
heh. I guess I'll wait, assuming the release date doesn't change. I'm getting rather tired of waiting for a proper release of Kill Bill. :frowning:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I thought I read around here that the new matted/cropped version will be framed better than the last version to fix a few problems that the old version had, as far as cropping out certain things ( I.E. the band-aid box joke).

I might be wrong but I believe I read that here somewhere.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

The 3 disc version of The Evil Dead is a must if your a fan. I already own 2 previous editions on dvd, and I'm still gettin it:)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

According to DVDFile, the new Evil Dead UE has a new widescreen transfer, which they simply describe as "more consistent" than the previous effort. Unfortunately, they also state that the 1.33 version is just a port of the ancient Elite laserdisc transfer. This makes the UE a no-sale for me, since I already have the Elite DVD, and an improved 1.33 version was the only reason I had for upgrading.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Years later....well, anyway.

The transfer on this old 3 disc set does NOT fix the framing issues (band-aid, etc.) found on The Book Of the Dead version.

There...........that was worth three years wasn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks