Which etailer has the best prices on Japanese R2 DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad B., Mar 19, 2001.

1. Chad B.

Chad B. Second Unit

I'm specifically looking for the Who Am I? DD & DTS Japanese region two release. The one site I found so far has it selling for $65! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    CDs : DVDs : VGs

2. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I just special ordered the earlier, DD5.1 version from CDJapan. $39, plus shipping, so it will be about $47 totaled.
    I'll post a review once I get it.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Since the disc is 6800yen, $65 is about right, depending on where the company is located(yen is currently roughly 120/$1). Add in import costs on it if it's domestic, and there you go. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp is the best exporter I've ever seen, selling stuff at Japanese street price and reasonable, fast shipping. The only thing they lack are better product descriptions. They even have a notification service to let you know when related products are coming out(I never would have known about Dragon Ash's Buzz Clips getting a DVD release w/extras if it hadn't been for that, I was a bout to buy the tape!)
    Jeff Kleist

4. Chad B.

Chad B. Second Unit

Man that CDJapan site gives me a headache! Are there any other R2 Japan sites that have an actual search engine?
    I'm trying to find these Jackie Chan and Jet Li DVDs:
    - The Defender
    - The Enforcer
    - Fist Of Legend
    - The Legend
    - Operation Condor
    - Operation Condor 2
    - Supercop
    - Supercop 2
    - Twin Dragons
    - Twin Warriors
    - Who Am I? (DTS preferred)
    ...with the following features:
    - Anamorphic Widescreen
    - Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1
    - English subtitles if no English soundtrack
    In any region!!! [​IMG]

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

THey do have a search engine, and it works fine
    Fist of Legend is OOP on DVD for the most part, and few Japanese DVDs have English subs. You might want to try http://www.dddhouse.com for Hong Kong flicks

6. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

- The Defender
    - The Enforcer
    - The Legend
    - Supercop 2
    - Twin Warriors
    Chad these films are cut & dubbed AND renamed. I do not recall which movies are which but TAI CHI 1 & 2 and FONG SAI YUK 1 & 2 are among them.
    SUPERCOP 2 is really "PROJECT S" and the Disney DVD sucks. A Hong Kong DVD with English subtitles is due later this year. It will be uncut.
    - Operation Condor
    - Operation Condor 2
    These two are backwards in the U.S. There is no Condor 2. It's actually ARMOUR OF GOD, followed by OPERATION CONDOR. The Disney DVDs are badly cut down, dubbed & rescored. CONDOR can be found in Hong Kong, region 0, with English subtitles. The newer "remastered" HK version is much higher in quality, but the nudity is cut out.
    ARMOUR OF GOD can be had in HK uncut and it's a decent DVD. Even the remixed soundtrack is OK. But the British Region 2 PAL DVD blows it away. Avoid the Disney version.
    WHO AM I? is cut to shreds for U.S. release too. The uncut Hong Kong DVD is uncut, widescreen and in English (it was shot that way) with subtitles for the non-English sections. It's region 0.
    The Japanese DVDs are uncut, with much better 16x9 transfers. But they are region 2. The DTS edition will cost you over $70 with shipping.
    Also, most HK films were not shot with Dolby Digital sound, so the soundtracks that are DD5.1 are remixes, many times inferior to the original mono since they are done sloppily.
    So basically, if you buy the U.S. versions of these films, be prepared for bastardized versions. Try and get the Hong Kong editions, which are bit more expensive on average, but still preferred.
    www.hizizone.com is the best place to get these films.
    www.asiandvdguide.com has reviews galore, plus cover shots.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman