Which ET LD to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

After the recent "fiasco" regarding the ET DVD release, I've decided that I'd rather go with the LD. I just need to know which version is the best...so any help would be great.

This thread is not meant to bring up criticisms of the DVD release, I'd merely like to know which LD to go with.

Thx...

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

The glorious CAV Box Set of course!

Enjoy,

Dan

3. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

There is only one truly good LD release. The second E.T. CAV box set, which came packaged in an enormous box with felt lining on the inside, each laserdisc in it's own jacket, and the expanded CD soundtrack. This is the one with the two hour documentary and the deleted scenes with Harrison Ford. It was also a THX laserdisc, though it didn't say so anywhere on the packaging.

There was a much earlier CAV release, but it was pretty much a movie-only release (I think it might have had the teaser trailer and some stills, but I can't remember anymore). At any rate, the transfer on this one is pretty bad, and it is the same transfer that is used on the CLV disc as well.

-Lyle J.P.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Just remember - get the 4-disc CAV box with the cd, not the 3-disc one, and you can't go wrong. I've seen these go for as little as ~$20 on Ebay recently, even unopened sets.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm not familiar with the "Fiasco" you describe, but I can tell you the big box set is tremendous. The picture and sound are reference quality and the bonus materials are really fantastic.

The CAVness of it makes it difficult to watch though. Lots of "LaserDisc Aerobics" involved. :)