1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which "Ernest" movies are available on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by cafink, Nov 27, 2002.

1. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I'm a big fan of Jim Varney's "Ernest P. Worrel" character. I'm a little confused about which "Ernest" movies are available on DVD, though.

I know that Disney recently released the first four, "Ernest Goes to Camp," "Ernest Saves Christmas," "Ernest Goes to Jail," and "Ernest Scared Stupid." However, if I'm not mistaken, the subsequent films are owned by another studio, and a couple of them have been released as well. I know of "Ernest Goes to Africa," but which others, if any, are available on DVD?

Also, what about aspect ratios? As I understand it, "Camp" is anamorphic widescreen in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, while "Christmas" is non-anamorphic at 1.85:1. "Jail" and "Scared" are improperly framed at 1.33:1, while all subsequent films were straight-to-video, and 1.33:1 is their proper original aspect ratio. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help!

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've got Ernest Rides Again, which looks like it was a theatrial release at least in Canada, on the Canadian Lion's Gate label (it's not widescreen but there's no 'formatted to fit your screen' message [​IMG] ) I've also got Slam-Dunk Ernest which is straight-to-video (some parts like the TV 'wipe' effects are done on video.)

4. Nuno_Jason

Nuno_Jason Auditioning

Ernest Rides Again was indeed released to limited theatres in the states. That's where I saw it![​IMG]

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    So eight of them are available? Camp, Christmas, Jail, Scared, Slam Dunk, Rides Again, Africa, and Army… Wonderful news, that's almost all of them! Too bad that a couple of them had to be framed incorrectly.