What's new

Which "Ernest" movies are available on DVD? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm a big fan of Jim Varney's "Ernest P. Worrel" character. I'm a little confused about which "Ernest" movies are available on DVD, though.

I know that Disney recently released the first four, "Ernest Goes to Camp," "Ernest Saves Christmas," "Ernest Goes to Jail," and "Ernest Scared Stupid." However, if I'm not mistaken, the subsequent films are owned by another studio, and a couple of them have been released as well. I know of "Ernest Goes to Africa," but which others, if any, are available on DVD?

Also, what about aspect ratios? As I understand it, "Camp" is anamorphic widescreen in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, while "Christmas" is non-anamorphic at 1.85:1. "Jail" and "Scared" are improperly framed at 1.33:1, while all subsequent films were straight-to-video, and 1.33:1 is their proper original aspect ratio. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Also, what about aspect ratios? As I understand it, "Camp" is anamorphic widescreen in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, while "Christmas" is non-anamorphic at 1.85:1. "Jail" and "Scared" are improperly framed at 1.33:1, while all subsequent films were straight-to-video, and 1.33:1 is their proper original aspect ratio. Is this correct?
This is correct.

As for non-Disney releases, besides Africa (which you mentioned), there is Ernest in the Army, also a Direct-to-video release.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've got Ernest Rides Again, which looks like it was a theatrial release at least in Canada, on the Canadian Lion's Gate label (it's not widescreen but there's no 'formatted to fit your screen' message :) ) I've also got Slam-Dunk Ernest which is straight-to-video (some parts like the TV 'wipe' effects are done on video.)

Nuno_Jason

Auditioning
Ernest Rides Again was indeed released to limited theatres in the states. That's where I saw it!:)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
So eight of them are available? Camp, Christmas, Jail, Scared, Slam Dunk, Rides Again, Africa, and Army… Wonderful news, that's almost all of them! Too bad that a couple of them had to be framed incorrectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks