1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which equalizer is best?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Johnson, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Robert_Johnson

Robert_Johnson Auditioning

I am going to purchase an equalizer for my home theater system. I am considering either an Onkyo QE-35 or a Kenwood GE-7030. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or could anyone make any specific recommendations regarding the best one to purchase for a high end theater system? Thank you [​IMG] .

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Robert
    How are you planning to hook up the EQ to your system???
    If it's for 2-channel listening than this is not a problem useing the tape montior loop on your receiver if you have one.. This will allow eq-ing for 2-channel and any 2-channel analog processing. Dolby Prologic, etc.
    Other wise you have to use the preouts (for the mains) on the back of the receiver (assuming you have them) into the EQ and then the EQ-outs back into the pre-ins to get eq-ing for "JUST" the Main Channels. This should allow for 2-channel eq-ing, and when doing DD DTS just eq-ing for the mains!
    In order to eq- all your DD DTS channels would require an eq for the mains, another for the rears, and another for the center and sub. This is just for 5.1 sound.
    Their are 2 one piece eq's (very expensive) that contain eq-ing for all channels doing DD DTS formates. One of which is built by Audio Control Richter.
    The model escapes me right now.
    Do a search here for eq-s and many discussios on them and their use for subs and full channel eq-ing can be found. Typical 10-band (non-parametric) eq's offer limited control but can help
    or hurt any system when used correctly or incorrectly. We have not even got into the phase problems that can come about when useing eq's.
    To your question, of the 2 you mention the Onkyo is the better quailty piece.
    Wheres Wyane the EQ guru when you need him....[​IMG]
    Regards
    Geoff

3. Robert_Johnson

Robert_Johnson Auditioning

Geoff,
    Many thanks for the clarification and advice. I now see I have more research to do before I purchase an equalizer. You sure saved me a lot of problems and prevented me from investing in something which would have been useless to me.

Robert

4. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Another thing you may want to consider is going with a parametric EQ instead of a graphic EQ. Unlike a graphic EQ, the parametric kind lets you dial in the exact frequency you're trying to adjust.

5. WillieM

WillieM Stunt Coordinator

If you have the pre-outs (or will), check out the Rialto 5 channel equalizer. There are articles and reviews on the Net to check out. In many instances, it can do wonders.

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I second the Rialto. The 7 channel equalizer is a little wonder with separate front, center, surround and sub frequency selections. A very good 'whole system' EQ but the price is reasonably commensurate at $599 MSRP.
    Here's a link from an AOL search:
    http://aolsearch.aol.com/redir.adp?a...&searchType=MS