What's new

Which EQ for SVS sub? (1 Viewer)

JackIR

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of getting an EQ for my sub. It is between the Rane PE17 or the Symetrix 551E? They are both about the same price, so which do I buy?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Jack,

They are both good equalizers, with comparable features. You should be happy with either one.

Stay tuned, maybe some owners will chime in with their likes and dislikes.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Jack, have you considered the Behringer Feedback Destroyer? Take a look at it, as many use it and like it.

BTW, welcome to HTF!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Jack: I own a PE-17 and have been very pleased with it. Absolutely no complaints. (Well, one. The manual isn't the best. I downloaded Symetrix's and actually liked it better. ;) )
I chose the Rane mainly because of brand name recognition. But from what I have seen of the Symetrix, it has virtually the same features.
Is budget a concern? Another reason I went with the Rane is that I could not find any of the old 1100p model Behringer. Rumours a month or so ago were that the new Feedback Destroyer wouldn't be out until Feb '02. Now I find out that the new 1124p is already here. :angry: If I were getting a parametric eq. now, I would closely look at the 1124p Behringer. The price is very right and it can control up to 24 bands...
(The online vendor the purchaser used was http://www.lentines.com/pa/equbeh.stm I have never used Lentines and can't say how they are to deal with. But wow what a price!!!)

J

John Morris

If both the PE-17 and the 551-E cost the same, then go with the Rane. I think that if you shop more, you are gonna find the Symetrix unit for about $100 less than the Rane unit. Both units are almost identical in features and performance, and IMO, superior sonically to the BFD. I have a Symetrix 551E and it is invisible sonically. The last BFD I tried added digital grain to the sound. However, for taming a subwoofer, that probably does not matter.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I got my BFD 1124 from Lentine's a few days ago. They're a B&M with 2 locations in Ohio. I ordered from their web site about a month ago; received an email telling me they didn't have any in stock but would ship as soon as they did (shipping cost was $10 Fed Ex to NY). I wrote them back saying I wasn't surprised about the delay since I had heard also about the Feb '02 release date. So, imagine my surprise when I got a shipping notice in my email out of the blue last week. 3 days later, it was in my family room.

Build quality looks good; I'm still waiting for my Sryke test CD to come in the mail. I didn't order it until I got the shipping notice from Lentine's. But, I have done a rough dial in using Avia and, you know, the thing works. I listened to the depth charge scene on U571 and felt the low bass only hinted at in my room from my SVS 25-31PC. Can't wait to really dial it in. I have a nasty bump at 50 HZ in my room.

I have another post floating around here on what i think is the key to operating the BFD. Some folks have been scared off by reports that it's more complicated to use than graphic equalizers. That's true but I think it's well within the capabilities of your average forum subscriber.

JackIR

Stunt Coordinator
The BFD 1124 looks interesting and more flexible than the Rane or the Symetrix at about half the price. What's the difference between the new 1124 and the old model?

Robert M

Agent
I find that the Rane runs very hot. I am using three channels only and find that it reduces overall low frequency SPL by about 4db which I assume is the source of the heat. I'm not sure if they all do this or not.

Bob

BruceD

Screenwriter
I think Guy (AVIA fame) indicated the 551 was almost impossible to tune because the rotary controls caused a huge variance with just a small 1/16 rotary movement - i.e. difficult to physically manipulate for a dialed in result.

Also recommendations are to hot-glue the rotary adjustment knobs once they are set so they don't move, got any kids?.

I have the old BFD 1100 and on the sub cable only it is quite sonically invisible, plus it has 24 filters or 12 per channel. The 1124 goes from 20bit to 24bit DACs and is cheaper. The BFD can also be remotely controlled through a MIDI cable and PC sw on their site.

BruceD

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I am using three channels only and find that it reduces overall low frequency SPL by about 4db which I assume is the source of the heat.
Robert, it has nothing to do with heat. I assume you used the EQ to tame (i.e., reduce) response peaks? The net effect of this is reduced gain. You can compensate for this with the EQ’s gain controls, or the volume control on the sub.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Robert: Interesting... My Rane PE-17 runs a little warm on the left side and room temperature over the rest of it. Probably the coolest running piece of gear in the entire cabinet.

Robert M

Agent
Chuck, I,m concerned about why the heat being produced by the PE-17, and perhaps I am hooking it up wrong.

I have the receiver "sub out" delivering signal to the Rane, which outputs to a distribution amp (break out box) and on to 4 powered subs. I find that with each channel in bypass and the main bypass engaged, there is no heat and no SPL loss. As soon as I disable the main bypass the SPL level drops by 4db, and the unit begins to warm up. As each channel bypass is disabled the unit produces heat directly in line with that channel.

I'm not all that concered about the heat, as I have enough forced air to remove it, and I can compensate for the drop in SPL, but I am surprised that the unit reduces 4 db just to pass the uncut signal through.

Any comments.

Bob

J

John Morris

Robert: my guess is that the distribution box is the culprit. Remove the box and operate one sub, without bypass, and see if it heats up. If not, next simply try to use some RCA splitters such as these below to see if it still heats up.
091-1045m.jpg
Let us know how it turns out.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Robert: You might consider sending an e-mail to Rane and asking them if your setup is causing the heating (or if it's something else.) Based on your description, the kind of heat you're describing will almost certainly shorten your PE-17's life.

Robert M

Agent
Thanks for the input, I have some slitters around that I can try. What about the SPL loss, do you think this is normal, or tied in with the heat build up??.

Thanks

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks