What's new

Which DVI cable? (1 Viewer)

Mike Rivera

Agent
Hi:

I just bought a Gateway 42" HD Plasma. I know there's a lot better out there, but not for $3,799 (including a free 13" LCD television), which is what I paid.

I want to take advantage of the DVI connection, but I'm confused. There's Dual Link and Single Link and there's DVI-I and DVI-D.

I'm using Comcast Digital HD Cable (in the Sacramento area) and an thinking of getting the V, Inc. Bravo DVD player which supports DVI and I'm told works very well with the Gateway (and Sampo) Plasmas. Is this true?

Should I use the DVI input on the monitor for HD cable broadcasts or DVD? I'm guessing DVD since I care more about quality on movies than broadcast shows. Will I notice a difference from the component cables on using on my DVD player now?

Which cable do I need (single/dual, I or D)?

Thanks,

Mike

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I recently got my Panny PTAE500U projector & got a DVI-D Male to Male dual-link cable. Got it from seller "4ccc" off eBay. From what I've read, DVI-D cables can be used with both DVI-I & DVI-D devices (DVI-I cables only with DVI-I devices). The difference between single- & dual-link is resolution. Single-link can support resolutions of over 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz (HDTV), while dual-link supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536p. So, single-link is fine for most of us w/DVI DVD players & hi-def set-top boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks