What's new

Which DVDs have sold the MOST? (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I was just wondering which DVDs out there had sold the MOST number of copies. Keep in mind, I am not talking about the movies themselves, just the disks. I previously thought, that the "Matrix" had sold more DVDs than any other movie out there, but I keep hearing all the time about breaking records of DVDs being sold. For example. I think Pearl Harbor sold 3 millions copies in one week, but how much has it sold altogether? Has it sold more than the Matrix?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I believe Shrek is the current winner, but more knowledgable folks than me will post a list, I'm sure.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
No, I thine something upheaved Shrek, like the Grinch or something. There was that period from November to December where every week the record was broken.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
With all the free Shrek DVDs out there, it may well still be Shrek in the longrun. I imagine that as DVD penetrates more and more households these records will get broken more and more frequently as each new killer DVD comes out.

Just wait for this summer's big guns to launch on DVD:

Star Wars

Austin Powers

Spider-man

amongst others...

DanR

Supporting Actor
I haven't even seen Spiderman yet (obviously), but the previews look awesome. They are planning a huge DVD for October, and this is CTHV, so it should be a reference DVD. Don't forget MIB-II could be another huge seller if the movie is as funny as the first one was.

Regards,

Dan

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
In the latest Star Wars Insider, It was said that Episode 1 was on pace currently to eventually beat Gladiator. Of course, no one knows if the pace will keep up, and of course Rick McCallum said it. I truly think he's kind of an idiot. But if Lucasfilm would release...say.... original trilogy and Indiana Jones, I'm pretty sure you'd see new champs in DVD sales.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Whatever happened to Return Of The Living Dead shattering the record when its released:D . Seriously though I agree with Josh if the original trilogy came out it would shatter any record held right now.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Records will be routinely broken a few times each year:

- August: Standard LOTR release. BOOM!

- October: Spider-Man. BOOM!

- November: LOTR SE. BOOM!

- December: Episode II (possibly) BOOM!

And it will continue that way, considering there's more Star Wars, more LOTR, more Matrix, and More Shrek down the line.

EDIT: Sorry, my connection crapped out just as I was to fix the font size.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
HT Mag says Gladiator is the current all time best-selling DVD. I would have to guess that EP1 is not far behind by now...

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
IMO. There is no way that a catalog release will become the all-time leading DVD seller. Even if it is the original Star Wars. The buying public wants the newest biggest movie, hence the massive sales of The Mummy Returns and Pearl Harbor. I would wager that Episode I isn't even top five of all-time sales, maybe not even top ten.

That said I would love to see an accurate list...

-Chad

Steve Clark

Second Unit
HT Mag says Gladiator is the current all time best-selling DVD.
This should not really be a surprise. It was far and away the #1 seller early last year with over 6 million sold. Then it won Best Picture, then millions of more DVD players were sold last year and I am sure many of the new buyers bought this "must have" DVD. Then it recently went through its 2nd Christmas sales season. This DVD has staying power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks