What's new

which dvd version of the stranger to buy? (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I want to buy The Stranger (1946) with Orson Welles, Loretta Young & Edward G. Robinson, but see that there are two different dvds available. Does anyone know if either of these has a decent picture? Thanks.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
George, I've been wondering about this myself. Anyone?

Jeff Howard

Agent
I have the Roan Group version of the film & while far from perfect i believe its the best of the dvd versions out there.I believe there was a post on this a while back(don't remember how far back)...you might be able to find it using the search function.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I tried four different ways, and all I could find was one post listing it as one of 40 films on a dvd being given out with a magazine subscription.
So for now, I'll have to rely on your impression of the Roan group, which unfortunately costs a lot more than the United American, which probably means that's not a good one. :frowning:
Thanks for the info.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I have some screen captures on my site of the Roan disc and the Film Focus set, which includes The Trial as well. The Roan disc is the one to get, as it features a better picture. Like any PD film, you get what you pay for. Oh, and the Film Focus disc contains pointless fake 5.1 remixes of both films, without the option of the original mono.
Stranger screen caps

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yes, the Roan is the 'superbit version' :wink:

if i rememeber right, isn't this a double feature disc w/ Cause for Alarm?
if it is, i have it (how sad is that, that you forget what you already own)

my advice to you would be to join Columbia House and take this as one of your enrollment selections.

they have several other Roan double feature disc as well, if your interested.
fulfill your obligation with two $19.95 titles and quit.

you're average cost per disc will be under $10 (thats including shipping and tax).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks