Which DVD+RW writer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Berger, Jan 21, 2002.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I will be purchasing a DVD+RW writer by the end of the month, but I am not sure which one to get.

The three that I've seen that are immediately available are from HP, Sony, and Philips. Pioneer has a DVD-RW drive, but it seems to be more expensive than any of the others, and the fact that it's DVD-RW as opposed to DVD+RW also means that it doesn't support newer +RW functionality.

The main function of the drive will be video/VHS->DVD conversion, but I will also be using the R/W functionality for hard drive backups. Reliability, warranty, and the ability to purchase an extended warranty are very important.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these drives? Because these drives are not inexpensive, I want to make sure that I get a drive with which others have had good luck.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

John ... I'm thinking about getting one as well. Last week, Computer Geeks had the Pioneer on sale for $389.00 I just checked and now it's listed as out of stock. This weekend, the same unit was $585 at BestBuy.
    Keep checking , they're a good outfit and they turn over inventory quickly. If they're still honoring the price, I may put an order in and wait. You can always cancel.
    Scott

3. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Extra

John,

Sorry I don't have any answers for you.

I'm looking to do the same thing. My focus right now is finding the right video capture card. What are you using for this?

Let me know if you find any deals on the DVD writer or a good video capture card.

Thanks,

Aaron

4. John_Berger

Funny you should ask. I just received a G450 eTV from Matrox to review on my site. I've had good luck with Matrox video capture cards in the past. Even my several-year-old Matrox Rainbow Runner (the original, not the RR G series) has been doing well.

Of course, the G450 eTV is an all-in-one card -- 3D graphics, video capture, TV tuner, etc. It's not a stand-alone like other video capture cards.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Which newer +RW functionality is of interest?

As I understand it, the -RW does take extra time (several minutes) to write the "lead out" whenever it burns, which can be a hassle.

For capturing, I was looking at the specs for the Canopus ADVC-100, which converts analog to DV and back. That way, you can go with more-readily-available and current DV tools and FireWire and forget that creaky 90s analog technology.

//Ken

6. John_Berger

It's not so much that there are specific features that are of interest; however, DVD+RW was developed by numerous technological partners in an attempt (to my knowledge) of finally getting a DVD writer standard. I would put my faith in a team made of companies like HP, Sony, and Philips, but the DVD+RW standard is obviously very new.

I simply want to know if anyone has used any of these and what luck they have had with them.