What's new

Which DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Richard_G

Auditioning
First I'd like to say hello and briefly introduce myself. I wouldn't classify myself as a audio/videophile, but I do enjoy good audio/video. My current home theatre setup is in the quality range of Best-Buy's top of the line; which I realize is far from the top of the line in the grand scheme of things, but I'm happy with it. Unfortunately I was suckered into believing the Bose hype and have all Bose speakers (four 301's and the VCS-1? center). I have an Infinity 12" sub and a 53" non-HD TV that I'll upgrade later this year probably to a 55ish" LCD, but I need a new DVD player first which brings me to the reason of my post.

My current DVD player is the first 200 disc that Sony released about 5-6 years ago. It still works good and I've been very pleased with it, but after this past Christmas it became filled w/ all 200 discs. I'm interested in one of the Sony 400 disc players. I know a lot of people don't like the multi disc players, but I like the fact that when I buy a DVD I can put it in and it'll probably never come out... NO SCRATCHES! I'd like to stay w/ Sony because I can link them together with their "Mega Control".

The two players I'm looking at are the DVPCX777ES for $800 and DVPCX995V for $400. They are physically identical except for color, but I can't find any differences in their specs except for the fact that the cheaper one does upscaling. I know the 777ES is part of Sony's ES line and it's double the price, but I can't find anything better about it, however it does weigh 3.75 lbs more than the 995V, so there must be something better. Is anyone familliar with these players?

Thank you,
Rich

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I haven't used either of those models, but I have a friend that just went through the same buying decision after having the 200 model. He went with the DVPCX995V after auditioning both of them out instore. He didn't see $400 worth of pic improvement with the ES, and decided the extra $400 could be spent buying new DVDs to fill up his machine with :D

A quick search on the DVPCX995V will show you some places that have the price closer to $350 than $400.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks