Which DVD player would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Modisett, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Mike Modisett

Mike Modisett Auditioning

Hello,

I just bought a new TV (Sony KV27FS100) and am looking for a DVD player to go with it. I've read a lot about the Panasonic RP82 and CP72 on this site, but am not sure they are my best choices, since this is not a high-def TV and I don't need a progressive scan player...

Would one of these players still be a good choice? If not, what WOULD you recommend?

Do I need to look for anything special on the DVD Player to be able to take advantage of the 16:9 squeeze mode on this TV?

Thanks!

-Mike

2. Ravi Chopra

Ravi Chopra Auditioning

I've done a lot of research myself lately and Panasonic's players certainly seem to be the concensus favorite for picture-quality for the money.

Whether the 72 or 82 are the right choice for you is harder to say since you don't need progressive. Part of what you're paying for in the price is the deinterlacing technology.

I can say that the interlaced picture from my 72 is gorgeous. I can't say for certain that lower-end Pannys without the Sage/Faroudja chip have the same performance, but they're certainly worth considering. If anyone can confirm that non-progressive Panasonic DVD players have the same interlaced-picture technology that their higher-end players have, I can highly recommend them, and at an even lower price.

If the price of the 72/82 doesn't bother you and you're not looking for a more complete feature set, either would still be a good choice and leaves you ready to upgrade to a high-def TV when you're ready.

good luck
    -Ravi

3. Mark Lehmkuhl

Mark Lehmkuhl Stunt Coordinator

Agree with Ravi. RP-82

4. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

I'd pick between Sony and Toshiba. Sony provides very high quality interlaced. Toshiba on the other hand has nice zoom features, so you can make widescreen movies just about fullscreen. The Sony DVP-NS715P and DVP-NS755v are nice units, and have excellent interlaced output

5. Mike Modisett

Mike Modisett Auditioning

"Toshiba on the other hand has nice zoom features, so you can make widescreen movies just about fullscreen."

Why would anyone want to do this? Isn't half the joy of DVD being able to watch movies in their intended aspect ratio? I dunno - maybe I just don't understand what you mean by 'zoom.'

Thanks for the advice folks! I'm leaning tomwards one of the Panasonics - might go with the CP72 because it can hold 5 DVDs instead of just 1 (no more getting off my couch to view the special features!)

6. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator