Which DVD player to use with Panasonic 47WX53

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Beau B, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Hello to all,

I just got this TV a few months ago, Panasonic 47WX53, and needed to get a new DVD player to take advantage of the HD power. I currently have the Toshibia 2705, non prog. player.

I checked the Best Buy ad this week and was looking at a few players. The Pioneer DV563A-S with $25 gift card or the Samsung DVDHD931 with $50 gift card.

Is the Samsung worth spending the extra $120.00?
    Will I notice that much difference in the 2 players.
    Since I do not have a prog. scan player already will I be blown away by either of these, or is the Samsung the best bet for my money.

I am not looking for DVD audio or SACD if this will hinder my decision one way or another.

Thanks, Beau

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Denon DVD-1600 is the best choice.

3. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

I need to get one at BB because I have a lot of Bonus Bucks fron getting my TV there. Of the 2 I mentioned and with this TV which one should I go with?

Beau

4. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the Pioneer because it it is a universal player (will play SACD/DVD-Audio) and you can't take advantage of the DVI output on the Samsung unit.

Since you don't have DVI, I would guess (judging by reviews of both players) that the Pioneer will look better than the Samsung. Just my .02

5. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Yes, my TV does have the DVI. I thought that a good player with DVI would beat any great prog. scan player.

I do not need DVD audio or SACD.

Beau

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I've read there's no difference in video quality between component and DVI...I thinks it's been talked about in this forum before...[​IMG]

7. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Oops, I read the specs for the wrong model ... in that case I would buy both and see which one looks better then return the one you don't like.

Another consideration is that you may soon want to use that DVI input for a High Def set top box, so you might switch your DVD back to component anyway.