Which DVD player to buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Hall, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Mark Hall

Mark Hall Auditioning

For the past year I have been using the DVD-ROM drive on my computer, but now I am ready to start building my own home theater. Since I am only a poor college student I plan on building my theater in pieces. The first item that I want is a quality DVD player. I really would appreciate any suggestions regarding what options I need to look for such as do I need to have a DTS decoder or progressive scan. What models are the best and so on.
    Thanks very much
    mark

2. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend JVC, Sony, and Panasonic. If you want progressive at a reasonable price, get a JVC (they have one now going for $249, but I got mine at SEARS for $169). You don't need a dts decoder unless you want to get dts DVDs. You should get a receiver with a dts decoder if you want dts sound though. There isn't a movie that I am aware of that has not been released in DD5.1 that's also been available in dts. Several releases have been including both formats on one disc. If you really want a good player that's dirt cheap- The Sanyo for $139 is a pretty well built player for the price.
    Now, if you want to get the whole package with receiver, DVD player, and speakers- I would get the Philips set they have at SAMS for $399 (Circuit City is selling the same set for $699). My dad has it, and it's a pretty nice system, but I like my Yamaha way more. Hope this helps.
    [Edited last by Erwin on August 11, 2001 at 08:40 PM]

3. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Mark
    A couple things come into play here. Are you going to be getting an HDTV, if so you will want to go ahead and take advantage of progessive scan. Progressive doesn't work with a standard tV.
    What receiver will you be getting? Almost all new AV receivers have DD 5.1 and DTS decoding. That way you don't need the decoders built into the DVD Player.
    I would avoid the theater in a box kit's unless you are on very tight budget. I built my system a piece at a time and tried to get the best I could afford.
    It would help us if we knew what kind of budget you are working with and what compoents you already own or know you will be buying.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater
    [Edited last by Doug_H on August 11, 2001 at 08:48 PM]

4. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

5. Mark Hall

Mark Hall Auditioning

I plan on building my ht one piece at a time starting with the dvd player. I want to buy a pretty good one and build the rest around it.

6. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

I was under the impression that as long as the tv set had component inputs to correspond with the component outs of the dvd player, a progressive scan would be utilized dependant on # of scan lines [​IMG]

7. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Barry,
    Progressive scan requires a Digital TV or monitor that is capable of displaying a 480p signal.
    Analog NTSC sets are only capable of 480i and cannot take advantage of a Progressive Scan player. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.ricperrott.com
    Ric Perrott

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

If you think its going to take a long time for you to put together your system (like over a year) I wouldn't worry too much about progressive scan. If your budget is tight, then that probably rules out a DTV in the near future. So buy an inexpensive name brand player, many of which are available for right around $200 and enjoy it with what you have now. In a few years when you get a DTV, then buy a progressive player. If you look at the way the prices drop and features change, progressive will probably be available on the low end players in a few years (if it takes that long). Plus you'll probably be able to get one with DVD-A or SACD for real cheap then also. Why spend the extra $100 to $200 on a progressive player now if in a few years that could buy you a new player with all sorts of nice features?
    Three an a half years ago I bought a Sony DVP-S3000 for $550. It doesn't do DTS, component video, or any high end audio formats. Now any player that costs that much is pretty well loaded. So my advice is don't spend extra money on features you don't plan to use in the near future.

9. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Keith 100%. Buy a cheap DVD player now and upgrade when your system is ready. You can always use the old DVD player in a bedroom.
    Joe

10. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Mark,
    I was once a poor college student who used his DVDrom and 17" monitor to play movies. Then I bought a 20" TV followed by DD5.1 suround. Finally about 2 years ago I bought a "settop" dvd player. Back then the best cheap one IMO was the Pioneer 414. To think that cost me $350 and that was once cheap. I "upgraded" to a Pioneer DV-333 and now I own a Denon 2800, but that is only because I have a 57" 16:9 RPTV to go with it [​IMG] At the rate that DVD players are improving I'd suggest buying a cheap (

11. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

12. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

You raise a good point there Erwin. First I should state that I know nothing about the JVC, so don't take my comments personally. But I would be concerned about the quality of a progressive DVD player that is that cheap at this time. If all the other big companies are selling only non-progressive players in that price range, something seems fishy. Also, if he can't use the progressive output, and other non-progressive DVD players in that price range come with better features and/or quality, then I still would suggest not going with the JVC.
    However if the JVC is a really such a good value, then I guess I better keep my eyes peeled for one whenever I go shopping for a new player.
    Mark, I'd also recommend that you keep an eye on http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html for their upcoming DVD Player Shootout Part 2 or whatever they're calling it. The results should be showing up in the next month or two.

13. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

quote: But I would be concerned about the quality of a progressive DVD player that is that cheap at this time. If all the other big companies are selling only non-progressive players in that price range, something seems fishy. [/quote]
    The player normally goes for $249-$299 at regular price. Mine just happened to be a floor model at SEARS (SEARS always has several floor models from last year for decent prices). I got my Yamaha Receiver last year for $300 which is normally $499 at SEARS.
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Erwin on August 13, 2001 at 05:57 PM]

14. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jay
    I can agree with Erwin's statements about that JVC player. I never had a good impression about JVC products; not because of any personal experience, just from opinions I had read. However,when looking for an inexpensive way to try out progressive scan,I could not turn down the JVC XV-S65GD for $250.00. I think it is the most underrated player out there. The video is superb [both progressive & interlaced], DVD menu access is lightning fast, it is almost totally silent when playing a disc, and it has picture adjustment options which actually do some good [the "gamma" adjustment,for example]. I also REALLY like the styIing and color of this player. I purchased one and received one as a gift. And even though I did not need two of them, it was hard for me to sell the one I didn't need!

15. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator