Which DVD player should I get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert CH, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Robert CH

Robert CH Auditioning

Here's a typical newbe question. Last week my 12 year old 27" TV mercifully died. I have replaced it with a Panasonic 36" HDTV (model CT 36hx42) and also bought an Onkyo model 600 reciever. I'm ashamed to tell you what kind of speakers I have (the name rymes with "rose"), but I'll be replacing them soon.

I want to get a new DVD player with component video and progressive scan. I don't want to overbuy or underbuy. Any suggestions on what would go good with my other stuff?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This would be a nice quesiton for the Audio/Video Sources area.

3. Chris Clarno

Chris Clarno Agent

Christian
    Depends what you're looking for. A good entry level player from Panasonic is the DVD-RP62S. Sells for about $150 Progressive-scan, Plays DVD-Video, DVD-R, CD-DA and CD-R/RW, plus MP3 and WMA files recorded on CD, Super high-speed scan (5 speeds, up to 200x, selectable via shuttle dial), "Dialogue Enhancer" boosts dialogue so you don't miss a word, even during loud sound effects (I like this feature!)Dynamic range compression keeps sound levels even, 480p/480i-switchable component video outputs, plus S-video and composite A/V outputs; optical digital audio output, an odd addition is a dedicated subwoofer connection...