What's new

which dvd player? I like the wrong one! (1 Viewer)

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the samsung dvd m301 and its nice. It has some annoying features but overall its pretty good. I am at best buy today and I see the RV31 cheap. $150, open box, but all the stuff is there! So I pick it up.
I just bought that samsung player at best buy, about a week ago, so I can still take it back if I want. I figure, since the samsung player was $170 I'll get a better player and $20 back. All was well.. until..
First off the RV31 has a very dim display, not a big deal, the samsung is silver my receiver is black. The rv31 only has optical out. The samsung has both, this way I can have the receiver's dvd to one digital out and receiver's cd to the other digital out. This keeps me from having to change surround modes when I move from dvd to cd. I like that feature.
They both play mp3s. The panny brings up the mp3 disc in 8 seconds. On the same disc the samsung takes 28 seconds! However with the panny there are no filenames just numbers. And with 110 songs on a cd, its rather silly to do it that way. The samsung on the other hand has filenames, albeit, only 8 characters, but at least you can get somewhat of an idea of what song you are listening to. And the samsung groups songs by the directory names, which you can see as well.
Both the remotes suck, that doesn't matter I'll program them both into my trust 15-1994.
I do prefer the onscreen menus of the panny to the samsung.
Any ideas what to do? I bought the panny from suggestions here, but the samsung fits me a bit better. Is it really a bad idea to keep the samsung?
Thanks,
Jon

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jon, I agree with Brent. Keep the one that best suits you. My only take on this issue as an outsider is that I wonder how Samsung players rate for reliability. I consider Panasonic to be a better name, but that may not mean anything.
This is somewhat off-topic, but what is it suddenly with budget DVD players from major manufacturers only having optical digital outputs? I was not aware until reading Jon's post that the Panasonic 'RV31 had no coaxial digital output. The new Pioneer DV-341, which replaced the DV-343, has no coaxial digital output either. What's going on?
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the prompt responses. I agree that my only concern is reliability.
I've packed the RV31 back up. I'd say I'm going with the samsung. Perhaps I should buy the extra service plan?
They were pushing that hard today, really hard.
Anyone have some sources on reliability? I have both a samsung tv and vcr and they work great.
Thanks,
Jon

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jon, I would not buy a service plan. Best Buy employees often push these plans hard because they make good commissions off of them. I assume the Samsung player comes with a one-year warranty. I wouldn't spend money for an extended warranty on any product, especially a $170 DVD player. If the player breaks after the warranty period has passed and the repair is costly, you only have $170 invested in the player. By the time you are facing a repair with no warranty coverage, you could buy a new player, which by then, will either be better for the same money or as good for less. I wouldn't invest in a service plan, especially on an inexpensive DVD player.
As for reliability of Samsung DVD players, I can't comment either from firsthand experience or from anything I've read. However, your good experiences with the TV and VCR are encouraging.
------------------
My:

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
When did Best Buy employees start getting commission on Service Plans? I don't think any do. Anyway, I like the Panasonic players and that happens to be one of the best ones that Best Buy carries. Don't EVER buy a Samsung DVD player. If you already did, take it back. We get so many back that need work done on them. I think if you want a brand that requires the single most number of firmware upgrades, the Samsung takes the cake. I like Samsung as a company, I have a Samsung DVD-ROM that came with my pc, and overall I think they do a good job of offering quality for less. I cannot recommend their DVD players and hopefully one day I will be able to. As for the Service Plan, you decide. If you like the value that is being presented, take them up on it. I got my DVD-A110 Panasonic replaced via the BB service plan. Damn layer change problems!

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I'll move this post to a new thread.
Sorry to intrude!
[Edited last by Rick Radford on October 10, 2001 at 10:14 PM]

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
When I worked at BB, many moons ago, there was no commission for PSPs. Product Service Plans. There was however, recognition for them. I worked in media so I don't know what type of benefits they would offer, but I know it was not cash.
I don't play that many dvds, i'm probably 75%/25% music to movies. It makes a great transport thus far. The majority of the time it will be used as a cd player. That is, until I can get a good cd player.
Well, first I need to upgrade the center chan, but thats a whole different matter!
Jon

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I've always heard that Best Buy employees get a commission for selling service plans, which explains why they are pushed hard to push them onto customers. If I got it wrong, my apologies. I know some stores offer commissions for selling service plans or particular products (Monster cables, for example).
Jon, what type of recognition do Best Buy employees get for selling service plans if not commissions? Does the recognition mean anything? Does it lead to a raise more quickly than if you don't sell service plans? Just wondering.
------------------
My:

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Managers recieve bonuses for PSPs sold, employees receive gift certificates, and free CDs. That information was true 5 years ago. Who knows today? PSPs are a BAD buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks