Which Dvd Player? Help!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas*C, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Nicholas*C

Nicholas*C Auditioning

Ok, guru's I'm looking for a good dvd player for around $200. Any suggesstions or brands that I should stick with? I was told i need one with a digital coaxial cable because the sound would be better than optical. I kind of want one that is black in color but will buy what I can.

Thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Nicholas: There's no audible difference between optical or coaxial digital inputs. Either one is fine. JB

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My recommendation would be to steer away from Pioneer DVD players, as there are many of their players are known to have compatibility issues with certain discs.

Personally, I'd stick with Sony or Panasonic for DVD players at that price point.

Yes you want a player wiht digital output, vs analog only, which some of the cheap players are coming with to hit that under $100 mark. No digital output means no Dolby Digital/DTS. As Jack said, there is essentially no difference between optical and coax.

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Secrets of Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity Audio pretty much unequivocally recommend the Panny DVD-RP82 in this price range. The CP-72 has, supposedly, the same guts, except for being a 5-disc changer and having a fiber-optic out instead of a coaxial...
    Me

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You do know the XBox is $199 and add in the $29 DVD remote and you have both a DVD player, game system and music server in one? Something to consider.