What's new

Which DVD player for 40" Sony Wega? (1 Viewer)

Bill Lewis

Auditioning
After months of research and debate, I finally made the decision to go with the Sony 40XBR700 instead of a plasma or RPTV. It gets here in 4 weeks.

Do I really need a progressive scan DVD, since the Wega has what appears to be a built in line doubler as well as 3:2 pulldown? Or would a cheaper DVD player yield the same results with the internal scaler in the Sony? I would appreciate the help~ thanks! (for those of you who are tempted to flame the idea of a 4:3 TV in that price range, trust me; it's best for my situation)

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
bump for you.

I have a 36xbr450 with a cheapo Toshiba SD1600 and it actually looks good. Hope to upgrade to the denon 3800 come summertime.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
That really depends on the sets performance. I've read the Sony's don't have the best performance for 3:2 and line doubling.

I have a Hitachi RPTV and I can't discern the difference between progressive out and 3:2 mode on my TV. However, I beleive the Hitachi has a better chipset than the Sony's.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The price difference between a good interlaced player (Tosh. 2800) and a good progressive player (Tosh. 4700) is less than $50. Unless you have a very good deinterlacing chip in your set (Pioneer Elite comes to mind), you would benefit from the performance of a progressive player.

Brian Shannon

Stunt Coordinator
I use a Sony 700p with my 36 XBR 400 and think it looks great. IMHO, hard to beat that player at its current price.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have the 36XBR450 with an nterlaced Pioneer DV-333. IMO, the picture looks great using progressive or 3:2 DRC.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks