Which DVD player for 40" Sony Wega?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Lewis, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Auditioning

After months of research and debate, I finally made the decision to go with the Sony 40XBR700 instead of a plasma or RPTV. It gets here in 4 weeks.

Do I really need a progressive scan DVD, since the Wega has what appears to be a built in line doubler as well as 3:2 pulldown? Or would a cheaper DVD player yield the same results with the internal scaler in the Sony? I would appreciate the help~ thanks! (for those of you who are tempted to flame the idea of a 4:3 TV in that price range, trust me; it's best for my situation)

2. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

bump for you.

I have a 36xbr450 with a cheapo Toshiba SD1600 and it actually looks good. Hope to upgrade to the denon 3800 come summertime.

3. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    That really depends on the sets performance. I've read the Sony's don't have the best performance for 3:2 and line doubling.

I have a Hitachi RPTV and I can't discern the difference between progressive out and 3:2 mode on my TV. However, I beleive the Hitachi has a better chipset than the Sony's.

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

The price difference between a good interlaced player (Tosh. 2800) and a good progressive player (Tosh. 4700) is less than $50. Unless you have a very good deinterlacing chip in your set (Pioneer Elite comes to mind), you would benefit from the performance of a progressive player.

5. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

I use a Sony 700p with my 36 XBR 400 and think it looks great. IMHO, hard to beat that player at its current price.

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have the 36XBR450 with an nterlaced Pioneer DV-333. IMO, the picture looks great using progressive or 3:2 DRC.

-Chris