Which DVD has better sound?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg Walker, May 26, 2004.

1. Greg Walker

Greg Walker Stunt Coordinator

I am a part of a DVD "splurge" group. It is my turn to host this month and I have used my winnings to purchase Master and Commander , The Last Samurai , and The Return of the King . I do not have time to preview all of these movies before our meeting and I was wondering if anyone can tell me which of these movies will best show off my sound system? I just bought a new receiver and sub and want to show off a little bit.[​IMG]

2. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I have watched Master and Samuri. I have not seen ROTK yet. The first two both have great sound but I think samuri is a bit better..
    Marc

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I like the DTS track for M&C best of that bunch.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

How does the group work? How do you win money for DVDs? Curious minds want to know [​IMG]

5. Greg Walker

It's based on the clothing parties my wife goes to.

A group of my friends and I meet once a month. It costs $20 a month to be in the group. At the end of each meeting we draw a name and that person gets the cash. The deal is they must spend the money on DVDs and host the next month's screening party. It's really just an excuse to get together and watch "man" movies, but it's kind of exciting to get a big chunk of change to go shopping for DVDs a couple of times a year.

6. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Greg,

that's a great idea!

I'd go with the dts M&C track, it's stellar. I was VERY underwhelmed by the Last Samurai track, and like most audiophiles, I'm waiting for the dts EE of RotK

7. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Definetly Master and Commander DTS. While not a constant assault, the battle scenes are the best surround sound experiences I can think of, both for being incredibly active and dynamic while serving the on screen action without falling into the trap of becomming gimmicky.

Last Samarai has a good soundtrack that serves the film well, but it can't touch Master and Commander as either a film nor in the sound department.

While I haven't heard the ROTK soundtrack on DVD in my home theater (waiting for the Extended Edition), I can't imagine that it will beat M&C either based on what I heard at the cinema.

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Another vote for Master & Commander. There is stuff in there that will really surprise you.

9. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

Guys - I've heard all three of these DVDS and whilst I was expecting ROTK to win hands down my favourite is actually M&C in DTS - When ROTK comes out in EE version with DTS-ES I expect I might change my mind ...
    Greg - buy all three! Not only do they have great sound but they are all great films into the bargain & should ALL be in your DVD collection ...
    Paul [​IMG]

10. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Master and Commander by far. I love the Lord of the Rings, and all three movies, whether in DD or DTS have amazing soundtracks, but they don't come close to Master and Commander.

You know that qualifies as an illegal pyramid scheme, right? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. jeff peterson

Totally off topic, but that's not a pyramid scheme.

12. Jonathan Dagmar

Totally off topic indeed, but I made it perfectly obvious that I was kidding. It *IS* however a pyramid scheme. In fact it is the ezactly same forumula that pyramid scheme use. Everyone puts in money, one person gets it in the end. Most pyramid scheme even call themsleves a *club*.

Obviously there is nothing wrong with what the original poster and his club do, but most places it is "techincally" illegal, and I was poking fun at that fact.

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

M&C has the more 'showy' audio mix.
    for some reason, ROTK sounds very odd and artificial to me on my set-up.
    i'm not impressed by what i've heard.

by far my favorite sound mix has been on...

Buffy Seasons 3-6.

not a lot of channel panning (which now i usually find more distracting than anything else), but rather a more sophisticated, subtle cohesion.
    the way the sound occupies the enviornment, the way essential dialouge is anchored in the center channel, while music and ambient effects that are there to underscore the scene generally occupy the rears or front L&R...to me it has the perfect 'sense' of the way 5 channels should be used.

lately,i find that type of sound mix superior to the overall experience than one full of noticeable, attention drawing effects.

when i got my first surround system though, what i would have been looking for was the kind of channel panning material like M&C and ROTK, etc.

14. jeff peterson

I guess I'm thinking it's more like a lottery or poker, since you don't have to recruit anyone else to get more money.

15. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Master and Commander DTS track is absolutely mind boggling. Last Samurai has a good mix, but nothing to write home about. Return of the King has an amazing mix, especially during the battle sequences, yet I prefer the Mi Casa mixes from the first two movies for how much better the music was integrated into the mix. But on ROTK, it has the DEEPEST and LOUDEST bass I have yet heard in my humble home. Just downright scary at times with the sound.

Overall I would say Master and Commander DTS, but only by a slight margin. While I prefer the film ROTK, I think for a more constantly enveloping experience, MC will win. And its shocking as well in its use of sound.

16. Greg Walker

Thanks for all of the input. I have actually purchased all three movies now, but have not listened to all of them yet. It looks like M&C will be my choice.

As to the pyramid scheme, I don't actually think it is illegal because everyone must win once before we go through the cycle again. When you win, your name is taken out of the draw until the next round. Also, there is no recruiting. It's actually just an excuse to go on a DVD binge where the wives can't really say anything because it's for this club.[​IMG]

17. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Your club sounds like a fun idea. I don't know if any of my friends would be up for something like that, but I just might have to ask!

I just watched RoTK last night, and I must say the sound on that disc is amazing. M&C is good, and so is Last Samurai, but I would have to give the nod to RoTK. And after hearing this disc, I can't wait for the EE!

18. Jonathan Dagmar

Hehe, well it actually is a Pyramid scheme for precisely that reason. Of course no one really comes out on top because eventually everyone breaks even when you aren't constantly adding new members.

I actually think it's quite brilliant. Wya more fun to buy a bunch of DVD on a binge then one at a time.

19. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

M&C, that first attack almost blew me out of my seat!!! Amazing DTS there. And I think your club sounds like fun.

20. Robb H H

Robb H H Extra

Your "DVD Splurge" club sounds excellent. If my wife can get together with her friends twice a month to play "Bunko", I should get a shot at this. Does the person who hosts also provide snacks and drinks or is it BYOB?