Which DVD burner, HP or Pioneer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Robbins, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

With the recent price drops on Pioneer's DVR-A03 and the introduction of HP's DVD100i, it looks like recordable DVD's are here. The problem is trying to figure out which one is most compatable with other home players.
    The HP claims DVD+RW, where as Pioneer claims DVD-R, DVD-RW.
    Both will record DVD's and the media runs from about $10-15.
    Does anyone know which is best or has tried any of these units?

2. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Good question & no right answer. DVD-R (write-once) is supported by most manufacturers. Rewritable DVD comes in 3 flavors: DVD-RAM (Panasonic & Toshiba), DVD-RW (Pioneer & Sony) & DVD+RW (Philips & HP). I personally like DVD-RW or DVD+RW, but the latter isn't backed by the DVD Forum. It's anyone's guess as to which format or formats will be accepted in the long run.

4. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

5. Chip_E

Chip_E Agent

Here's the skinny:
    DVD RAM is for computers and for the standalone recorder/players that use them.
    DVD RAM works like a Zip disc. You can add and delete information at will. It's a good replacement for your VCR if you're willing to pay around $2500 bucks and don't have to view the disc anywhere else.
    DVD+RW is just recently shipping. So far, there are recorders at retail but not media. While this format isn't supported by the DVD Forum, who cares. If it floats your boat, go for it. As for it being more compatible than DVD-R, there's no proof to date in the real world tests that it will play on any more or fewer settop DVD players.
    DVD-R comes in two flavors, Authoring Media and General Media. The Pioneer A0-3 is the ProSumer "Meneral Media" version. The Pioneer SO2 recorder (retail of $5,000 USD) uses "Authoring Media" and is a Pro recrder.
    The two media types are not interchangeable.
    The big difference is the capability and compatability of each. General media discs have a blue ring near the center of the disc to prevent writting CSS copy protection information. This prevents the copying of protected disc because the first thing a recorder does is write the CSS info (if it exists) and if that fails...you can't bootleg a disc, and the studios are happy.
    Also, where I've seen about 95% or greater compatibility of DVD-R Authoring Media, I've only seen about 90% compatibility with DVD-R General Media. These figures will change as new players are purchased.
    DVD-RW is General Media that is rewriteable just as is a CD-RW. To re-write a DVD-RW (or a DVD+RW) you have to erase the entire disc. DVD-RW takes a couple of minutes to erase, DVD+RW takes about 20 seconds. DVD-RW is single sided, DVD+RW is dual sided (hence more capacity). Any DVD-R recorder should be able to record DVD-RW with the appropriate software. Where DVD+RW and DVD-R are currently equal in playback compatibility, DVD-RW is only compatible with about 87% of the players in the market today.
    The Pioneer A0-3 is a safe choice (I own one) but ultimately, the best recorder will depend upon your specific needs.
    - Chip Eberhart
    - DVD Author