What's new

Which DSP program on your receiver do you use for movies? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
My Yamaha receiver (HTR-5240) has several programs to listen to a movie.

SURROUND
-Normal
-Enhanced

MOVIE THEATER 1
-Spectacle
-Sci-Fi

MOVIE THEATER 2
-Adventure
-General

(There is also a mono selection).

I have been using Movie Theater 1 Spectacle. According to the manual, "This program creates the extremely wide sound field of a movie theater. It precisely reproduces the source sound in detail, giving both the video and audio and the sound field incrdible reality....especially for large-scale movie productions."

However, it seems to give more of an echo, whereas the standard Surround mode, in enhanced, gives less of an echo.

On any rate, which type of program have you been using? Do you just use standard, or do you use these other speciality ones?

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I mainly use spectecle, though, I use Action or General for Dobly Digital 2.0 disks & PLII for cable TV

John_Kiger

Agent
I have an HTR-5240 also. I let it take the default from the disk when playing a DVD. When watching VCR or broadcast movies, old B&W movies sound fun in mono-movie, because you're sitting in an empty old theatre. Otherwise I flip around to see which is the most bearable. I'm not stuck on any one setting for most things. I seldom use the 5-channel option in this small LR.

I usually pipe CD music through the Concert Hall setting if it's easy listening, holiday, or classical.

yo.

John_Kiger

Agent
I should add, as you noticed, that "NO EFFECT" is still a smart option for news and other talkshow formats, and any place else where sound does not need to bounce around any more.
John

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
This usually depends on your room and your personal tastes in movies.

I tend to leave my receiver on "Enhanced" for most DVD's. I use Stadium for sports.

Just remember: these DSP modes are like seasonings in your food. What I like and what you like may not be the same. So play around and pick what sounds good to you.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
on most DVD's I just usr the standard 5.1, while watchung sat feeds ,news, movies etc ,I just let it default to prologic II .Pretty boring kinda guy:D I probobly need to mess around with the different DSP's the 520 has.I just never really liked any of the the my old reciever had,expept for during music .

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I am an Automatic Format Decode Freak!:D For crappy analog recordings I use DPLII Music.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
For the most part I mostly use the standard plan Dolby Digital and DTS modes. From time to time I might switch over to 70mm Adventure or 70mm General then let Dolby Digital or DTS switch using that DPL. Most of my movies I watch most of the time are DTS movies.

70% DTS
25% DD
5% Dolby Prologic/70mm Surround

my Yamaha 995 is set to auto detect for digital formats.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I should point out in my above post that while I almost always use spectacle, I never used any of the Yamaha DSPs when I have my RX-v1000. One of the reasons I bought the Z1 was the dealer had a demo hooked up with the effects channels & I was blown away, so I bought the Z1 & some effects speakers & now I always use one of yammies DSP modes-the combined effect of the dsp & the effects speakers makes the viewing material much more realistic IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks