Which Drunken Master?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I know there are some other Jackie Chan fans out there.
    I would like to purchase the Drunken Master films on DVD. I know the sequel was just released, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the first one (simply titled, "Drunken Master"). I've seen it for sale on Amazon.con and the like, but there are so many different versions.
    I once bought a video with Jackie Chan on the cover. It turned out he wasn't in it, he just directed the action. What a rip-off!
    I don't want to fall for one of those traps again. I just want "Drunken Master." Does anyone know which one is the real movie?
    Thanks.

2. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk/fil...5drunkmast.htm
    Hope you have a PAL capable player and display, cuz if you're a fan of HK action films, the Hong Kong Legends series is gonna own your butt (and your wallet).
    This is about as good as a release of the original Drunken Master that you're going to find

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

The only DVD of DRUNKEN MASTER (the original) that is worth owning is the Hong Kong Legends edition, which is PAL, not NTSC.
    Yes, it is cropped to 1.78:1, but the so called widescreen NTSC DVD's are washed out, grainy, plagued by artifacts, and only about 2.0:1, with less picture info on the top and bottom from zoomboxing (a common practice to hide bad film elements). Let's not even mention the unreadable burned in subtitles or the distorted dubbed track.
    A well written review of the HKL release can be found at the link below.
    www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/article.php?sid=34
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

4. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Has HKL ever said anything about doing R1 releases?
    I have Armor of God, and I'm getting City Hunter (both HKL), but I'd really prefer to get these disks in NTSC, not PAL.

5. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

HKL is only licensed to distribute these movies in REGION 2 and the PAL format. This is their agreement with Media Asia. Media Asia has it's own DVD's in the NTSC all region format so it would produce competition with it's own DVD's if HKL was licensed for the same format.
    I doubt if they will ever be able to outsource their materials. It's sad because they put a really good effort into making these DVD's. They also admit mistakes and explain them.
    I would compare the HKL DVD's to being the Criterion collection of Hong Kong films. For a good example, try to check out the Columbia versions of the Once Upon A Time in China movies and then watch the HKL versions. They put a company like Columbia Tristar to shame.
    Matt
    ------------------
    Honk Kong DVD Reviews and News
    loveandbullets.com

6. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Heh heh heh,
    anytime the topic of HK flicks pops up, the two Matt(hew)s are always here... [​IMG]

7. Matt_Stevens

8. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Look on the bright side, tho. The fact that HKL is working in their own niche (Region 2 and PAL) actually allows them to be in business. Would you like the other option of no HKL and depending on Media Evil for "quality"? Or even worse, the american companies, who can't seem to make a satisfactory HK release to save their life...
    Jason
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

9. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

10. Rouslan Sytnik

I got almost all HKL DVD but I do not plan to buy not OAR DVDs : "Drunken Master", "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" and "Legend Of A Fighter".
    The good news: There is a big chance (95%) that HKL will redo "Drunken Master" and "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" as platinum editions. I hope they'll do it in OAR.
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/vie...ic=407&forum=1

11. Matt_Stevens

OK, that IS good news, but I am still pissed off. HKL told me that would not happen, so a month ago I went ahead and bought the current versions. Had I known about this, I never would have purchased those DVDs. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks for the info, folks.
    Alas, my DVD player does not handle PAL. It was a birthday present, so I'm stuck with what I gots.
    This is sad news indeed. At least I'll have the sequel, though.

13. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Mike
    Not sure how old you are, but regardless, it's time to save some extra bucks from your paychecks / allowance!! Save up and get yourself a Malata DVD player (can get them from avdeals.com). They do playback of PAL sources to NTSC displays near flawlessly.
    As Matt Stevens terms it, it's the Holy Grail of DVD players if you're into region 2 PAL dvds. In general, it's among the best of the region free players out there.
    Fairly reasonable too...
    http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

James,
    I'm 23 yrs old and make enough to spend the money, but not enough to do so if it's not worth it.
    The Jackie Chan movie is the first time I've encountered a conflict with the region encoding. I've only had my home theater equipment for a few months.
    I'm really not into movies that much. My DVD collection consists of Stanley Kubrick, Clint Eastwood, Monty Python, and a couple of other films. I spend a lot more money and time on music, my greatest passion.
    So, as it stands now, buying a new DVD player for PAL discs would only serve to watch one movie that I like. It's just not worth it.
    I think I'm gonna wait until the industry decided which new new medium will replace CDs for music, then upgrade accordingly.