What's new

Which do you value more, your DVDs or your equipment? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Just wondering since we put so much time and money into our hobby on both our equipment and our DVD collection which one do you prefer more your DVDs or your equipment? I personally prefer my DVDs. Right now I have 28 DVDs in my collection but I'm continually buying more and I'm very picky about how my DVDs are displayed to any guests that come to my house. The other side of the coin is that my equipment list consists of a decent sounding Sony HTiB, a Sony Trinitron 20 inch display (non WS), and a Toshiba 2150 DVD player. All very low end equipment but it's enough to please. What about you guys? equipment or DVDs?
------------------
-Keith-
My DVD's

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Equipment is completely replaceable. Some of the DVDs are not.
Both are insured, though.
If I had to save one, I'd save the DVDs.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Equipment, by far. I have a HDTV, Progressive Scan DVD player, Monitor Audio loudspeakers, a HSU Subwoofer, Denon AVR-3300 receiver, etc. I will be adding a DishNetwork HDTV receiver soon as well.
I own about 72 DVD's, so my equipment is definitely more valuable to me! It would be much easier to replace the DVD's than the equipment.

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
Have to say the LDs and DVDs are worth more to me than the equipment. So many are OOP or difficult to replace. If the equipment were lost, I'd just purchase new, which would be an upgrade to what I had, so I'd actually be better off.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Both. But if I had to pick one it would be the equipment.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Equipment, but my DVD collection is gaining quite a bit of value.
When my DVD value exceeds my equipment value, I will have to go with my DVD's!
And Ron, Edward Scissorhands is my next DVD!!How does the 4.0 track sound? Is it dts or DD?
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
You can't have one without the other -- but I value my DVD's more because that is the source of my home entertainment. The equipment just helps bring the entertainment to me.
Plus, I have really crappy equipment now. :)
Jason
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"THERE IS...NO....BAND....and yet...we HEAR a band." Mulholland Drive

JohanK

Second Unit
Equipment by far.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have a lot of money invested in both, and it would be damned expensive to replace either, but it would be infinitely easier to replace my equipment. Hell, it'd be a good excuse to upgrade :). On the other hand, replacing my hundreds of dvds and lds would be just as expensive and much more difficult and time-consuming.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Boy, some good points for both!
I may have to change my answer to my DVD's, A lot of them would be so hard to find and replace, it would take months to replace.
The equipment IS much easier to replace.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I would have to say my dvd's. I have close to 200 right now, and if something happened, it would be an absolute pain in the ass to start all over again, besides a few of them are OOP.
I could always replace my reciever or dvd player if I had to.
But as far as love goes, my equipment and dvd's are as one.
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'd have to go with equipment. The vast majority of my DVDs could be easily replaced in your average retail store and I have more $$ invested in the hardware.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
DVD's. Let's say, god forbid, there is a fire and everything in your theater goes up in smoke. Equipment, hardware, DVD's...everything. Chances are, when you go about buying new equipment (you do have everything insured, right?), you will upgrade to the current gear. With DVD's, there really isn't an upgrade. Maybe an Ultimate Edition...or Superbits..or SE...but for the most part, you will have to rebuy the same disc as you lost. Basically, you are spending twice as much money for the same goods. Save as many DVD's as you can.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
DVDs by far. My hobby is not "home theater"; my hobby is movies -- the equipment is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Right now, my equipment. 5 or 10 years from now, the dvds. It is easier to spend $20 at a time on dvds than $5,250 at once replacing/upgrading equipment, even though all of it is insured.
[Edited last by BryanZ on November 16, 2001 at 11:11 AM]

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I value my DVDs more. Without those shiny discs I would have no use for the equipment and a fair number of them are irreplaceable. Equipment, on the other hand, is always being upgraded and I rarely have any emotional attachment to it (except for my beloved Rat Shack 15-1994 remote
wink.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks