Which do you prefer: "Mad TV" or "Saturday Night Live"?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by John Kilduff, Oct 10, 2005.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I think I might have asked this before, but here it goes again:

Do you prefer "SNL" or "Mad TV"?

I prefer "Mad TV" but not because of the humor. I like that "Mad TV" tapes its' shows instead of doing it live like SNL does. This way, if the cast members start laughing at each others' performances, they can gain their composure or do retakes if necessary.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Which way do you go?

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I still prefer SNL, because it is raw. If a cast member flubs their lines or laughs, it makes the skit funnier. As an example, when Janet Jackson was on tv for the first time since "nipple gate" she kept mispronouncing "cork soaker" as "cork sucker" during a skit with Jimmy Fallon.
    I know SNL has lost much since the old times but every now and then, there is a gem.

3. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Should'nt this be in the polls section? I will always choose SNL over MadTV... anyday of the week. However, it looks like both shows have overcome their realitve lumps and are going quite steady. Just check out some of last season on Comedy Central and you'll see. Bobby Lee and Cristina Flannagan are the stand-outs.

Ryan

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I find all the laughing and breaking character on SNL to be really unprofessional, not to mention the huge reliance on cue cards in recent seasons. The performers obviously have no interest in actually investing something of themselves in their performance, or actually spending time in rehearsals learning lines and perfecting their sketches. Featured players like Jimmy Fallon and Horatio Sanz are embarassments and Lorne Michaels should just retire rather than keep phoning-in this lame show every week.

MAD-TV is light-years better than SNL these days.

Hey...you asked. [​IMG]

5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

It will always be SNL for me...simply because it's an American institution. Will Mad TV still be running after 30 seasons?

6. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I hope something doesn't run for 30 seasons, purely based on reputation, like SNL, and to a lesser extent, The Simpsons have.

But for years, I have preferred Mad TV, but these last couple of seasons were down to SNL-levels of unfunny.

7. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

I like both personally, or at least I like SNL more, but there are some great skits on MadTV, I like the Swan skits they tend to be a little odd but I find them oddly funny. But SNL has some great character actors like Darrell Hammond and Maya Rudolph.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    SNL has been disappointing of late, but I've never really gotten into MadTV. I have friends who are big fans and I usually only watch it when I'm at their place. The other shows I only watch when I visit them are Family Guy, South Park and Da Ali G. I definitely find the shows humorous, but find no motivation to watch them when I'm at home.

9. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Neither are very funny anymore. All the good people left on Mad TV and SNL hasnt been funny for years.

10. James T

James T Screenwriter

I prefered Madtv. Skits like Terminator 3: The Greatest Action Story Ever Told, every Steven Seagal, Kenny Rogers and Arnold Schwarzenegger skit would have me crying from launghing so hard. Sasso is damn funny. And I just can't stand Jimmy Fallon. He annoys me. For some reason, I just want to punch him in the face.

11. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Jimmy left SNL over a year ago...

12. James T

James T Screenwriter

Same with Sasso. I thought Fallon still guests stars like some of the Madtv/SNL favs.

13. Chris Ze

Chris Ze Agent

My vote is for MAD tv